+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dura-Glass Pump Mounting Plate Question

Default Dura-Glass Pump Mounting Plate Question

Hi,

I'm replacing a 2HP A.O. Smith K48 motor that runs a waterfall. It seems to be shorted internally, tripping the breaker when I start the pump. I've checked the caps and switch and they are good, so I think the motor is toast.

I've removed the pump and have the impeller off, but the motor mounting plate looks different than any I've seen online.

Photos of the pump are posted here:

I need to remove the pump seal from the shaft so I can then remove the copper cone and the mounting plate, but I'm not sure how to get the seal off the shaft. There are no screws holding the mounting plate to the pump, as I've seen in some pump pictures.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kit
    San Diego, CA
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-23-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fix title

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Pump Mounting Plate Question

I'm not sure what's going on. The presence of the copper cone ID's your pump as a pre-1998 model, with discontinued parts. BUT . . . in all the schematics, the seal should be free once the impeller is removed. You uploaded a low-res photo, so I couldn't zoom in on the seal location. If you post hi-res photos of the impeller, showing the side facing the motor, and of the seal area, it might be possible to tell more.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Pump Mounting Plate Question

By the way, you can direct link the photos off of Smugmug, by posting the URL of the individual photo in between [ IMG ]-url here-[ /IMG ] tags. I had to put spaces around the tags, so they'd show up in the post; you'll need to post without the spaces.

Default Re: Dura-Glassl Pump Mounting Plate Question

I have a later model of this pump. Doesn't the motor attach to the plate with 4 screws/bolts? There should be 4 threaded inserts in the motor side of the plate. Your first picture shows the top of the motor with the top two holes in the motor flange. Take these 4 screws out to separate the motor from the plate. Then you can remove the seal.
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

Default Re: Dura-Glassl Pump Mounting Plate Question

Thanks to the admin for helping me work through some registration/password issues yesterday.

Here are some better photos of the impeller, mounting plate, and shaft seal:

The response from nefretrameses above made sense - unless the shaft seal is pressed on (like bearing), there should't be anything holding the backing plate on once the four screws are removed. So I pushed a little harder on the backing plate, and..bingo.. it separated from the pump, and pushed the shaft seal forward off the shaft.

Here is the mounting plate without the shaft seal. The copper cone stayed behind.

The shaft seal looks like this:

It is an assembly with three parts:

From left to right in the photos above, there is:

- a stainless steel ferrule with a flange on one end. The flange has a rubber face seal that mates with the impeller.
    - a spring lined with a rubber bushing
    - a hard plastic step washer

So now that I know how it goes together, what parts need to be replaced when I put this back on a new motor? Will a Go Kit come with any or all of these parts?

Question: The title of this thread was changed by a previous poster. Is the backing plate I have made by "Dura-Glassl" ?

Thanks!

Kit

Default Re: Dura-Glass Pump Mounting Plate Question

Ok, found a schematic with part numbers. Moderator - please remove if posts to pool suppliers are not allowed:

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00500022000635.htm

Looks like the shaft seal is part number U109-93SS, and includes all three pieces. It is included in the Go Kit offered at the same site.

Thanks,

Kit
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-23-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fix title

Default Re: Dura-Glass Pump Mounting Plate Question

The pump (everything but the motor) is made by Sta Rite (or at least marketed by them). There should be a pump part number on the pump plate that attaches to the motor, although I can't see it in the pictures. Mine is at the top of the plate on the side facing the motor. Cross any replacements parts to this number. For my pump at least, there are several versions of the shaft seal depending on pump part number and serial number. Inyo pools should be able to g e t you the right one. Sta Rite makes pumps with several names, Dura Glass is one of them.

I'm a handy guy, but I never had any luck with this seal replacement. Put it in backwards the first time and used the wrong lube the second time. (Now I take it to a pool pump guy). Follow the instructions with care. Don't touch the ceramic disc surface. Good luck. Others do it all the time, so it's just me.
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

+ Reply to Thread