+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Pool - Flow doesnt seem right

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: New Pool - Flow doesnt seem right

J, as I read and reread this I'm starting to think that it's the algae that's causing the problem, Algae is especially good at clogging up a de filter, the size of an individual algae cell is very close to the size of the paths in the de coating. I offer the following as a suggestion (in fact it is pure hypothosis on my part, I've never heard of it being done and believe I just originated the concept): after the gauge reaches 20 psi, backwash for ~ 5 - 10 seconds, stop when you see the first de/ crud in the sightglass. Go back to filter, without rinsing. The old style de filters used to get 'bumped' when they needed cleaning (bumping involved jerking the de collection fingers (the precurser to your grids), up and down to stir up the de and make fresh paths for the water [the outside of the de coating is where most of the obstructing occurs, if you can expose the clean de, it should enable you to get more bang for your de] * As this is theoretical, keep an eye on your pressure gauge and see if, and how much the pressure drops each time (ie, get to 20 psi, try the 'less waste' method, and see where the psi is, if it drops to 15 you might be able to do it 2x before having to backwash properly, or-in your case- break the filter down and manually clean it) I can easily understand why you wouldn't want to try a purely speculative method, but in your case, with the filter clogging every 1/2 hour or so, it may save you some water, time and de.
    Anyway, to your ?s and observations:
    1) The gurgulling is caused by the 5 different ports in the multiport being opened simultaniously as you change positions, when you push down on the handle you open all 5 ports for a moment and let air into some and the water in the valve and filter to seek the lowest point via the others - so it gurgles - no problem.
    2) The stream should shoot a few feet when the filter is clean, if it doesn't there is probably an obstruction in the air relief valve itself (as long as your pressure is fine otherwise). Unscrew the knob you relieve the air with all the way, and poke a paper clip or similarly small ridged object through it - you could try to get the pump to clear it (by pulling the stem out with the system running), but you'll probably get wet.
    3) There are ways, but don't worry about them yet - you checked the system by running on 'recirc' - if you still have problems after the algae is gone we can adress it.
    4) Don't worry about what we put on our pools, we overplumb the (%#@$^& out of them, on a pool your size we'd have at least 1 skimmer, 2 low suction ports, 3 returns in the pool, 2 jets in the stairs and 3 low returns with at least a 1 hp pump to drive them all ( there's a fair chance of a spillover spa being attached to the pool, also) Sounds like you have all you need.
    5) I wouldn't say that you're screwing up anything, you are being dilligent, and cleaning it by hand frequently - the cleaning by hand regularly fixes both under and over charging the filter. The bags we sometimes use say that a 1 lb coffee can = 1/2 lb de, as long as you're in the ballpark in the amount you add each time, the problems should be minimal, it's the way over or under that causes problems. Also humidity or moist de will weigh in as being less #s than perfectly dry de.
    6) That's what you've gotta do
    7) The grids will hold about 2" of water after washing when they need to be chemically treated, which comes out slowly, if the fabric looks 'bowed out' at the bottom after you wash them, it's a fair indication that they need a chem washing - if you feel grit on them, they do need the acid wash.
    8) I'm thinking that your best way to clean the filter is with the garden hose, it doesn't cost you much water, and you obviously know how to take apart and reassemble the filter - please remember to lube the o-rings every few times with a silicone or teflon based lubricant (** NEVER USE VASOLINE OR A PETROLIUM BASED LUBE TO TREAT YOUR POOL O-RINGS, YOU"LL WRECK THEM!!!**)
    9) If you ever find the need to do your own acid wash, it's easy and costs a whole lot less than having a pool store do it!
    10) In a regular season, without an algae problem, you might expect to replace the de 3 - 5 times, your actual needs depend on a large number of factors, so that's just a guess. As you get used to your pool, you'll be able to judge for yourself.
    This post is already too long but I feel I must direct you to the 'dealing with algae' area. Please look at it. Basicaly, what you want to do is remove any big stuff (leaves, rodents, etc) so that your chlorine can do it's job more effectivly, get some numbers (free cl, total cl, pH, total alk, calcium hardness, and CYA (stabilizer) ) and post them (in the appropriate area) and let the knowledgable folks here help you clean the pool. Hope this makes up for my not being able to tell you all of this the other night - Good luck, if you need any clarification - just ask!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: New Pool - Flow doesnt seem right

Sorry for the delay in the reply...

Firstly, let me say this. Your help has been invaluable and I really appreciate it. I dont think I have ever gotton a more complete response to any question I have ever asked on the internet...

Okay so heres the scoop...

BACKWASH, RINSE, BACKWASH RINSE, repeat and whohooo! That seems to have done the trick. I started the fitler last night at about 10pm nd it was still going strong at 7am this morning. Again I say whohoo!

Pool only has a slight greenish tint now and I think I am ready to try vacuuming once more. Will post numbers if its not clearing up...

Thanks again.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: New Pool - Flow doesnt seem right

J, glad to hear it, good luck with the algae!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread