+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My pool store is a better deal

Default My pool store is a better deal

I went to Walmart to stock up on bleach for the summer, but found the bottles are not a gallon and they are 8% which is ok. But since wm are 3.00 for 121 oz and my pool supply store is 3.60 for a gallon of 12.5% I am wondering if I should stay with the pool store or does 4.5% would make a diference? Any take on that? Thanks Dave
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)
    I only trust the k-2006 titration is better for me

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: My pool store is a better deal

It depends on how the pool store bleach has been stored and handled; bleach degrades quickly where it's sunny and warm. If it's fresh and it's been kept cool indoors, it may be close to 12.5% - if it's last year's stock and the label is faded, it may be closer to no%. WM has thier business model as an advantage here - they move stock quickly everywhere (also indoors) so it's lekely their stock is fresh.

If you want to be sure, CarlD has put his bleach testing method somewhere on this site.

I found the thread and will test my chlorine. Thank You
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hi DD.
    I go through the exercise you're going through all the time. Generally, I end up using a particular store's 5 gallon carboys of %12 LC because they turn over SO much that it's always new and tests at %14. A little bit of simple math and it's clear it's cheapest to buy that way. It's about $18 for the carboy (I paid the deposit on the 3 I have years and years ago). That's the equivalent of 10 gallons of %7 for $1.80/gallon. Hard price to beat!

Basically the idea for testing LC is to simulate a pool. So I use 10 liters of tap water in a bucket. 2-liter soda bottles are ideal for measuring.
    Test the tap water for FC and CC. If it's more than 0, you'll subtract that.
    Add 1 milliliter of the LC you are testing to the 10 liters. I use a marked glass eyedropper available at any chain drug store.
    Mix and wait a few minutes.
    Test the water as you would test a pool and the FC level approximates the % strength of the LC you're testing.

Simple!
    Carl

Carl where would a person get a 5 gallon jug and what do you do fill a gallon jug from the 5 gallon carboy or what? Thanks Dave

Carl I can buy an empty carboy its where to fill it

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

DD: Usually, if a pool store sells them, then they sell FULL carboys (they are blue) and you pay a deposit on the container. But when you buy another, you give them the empty and don't pay the deposit again.
    I've been cycling my 3 carboys for years now. It's also worth it to spend the $3-$6 for a carboy nozzle.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

There's also a wrench available for tightening / loosening the cap and nozzle. You may not need it, but I no longer have the hand strength I once did and it really helps me.

Channel Lock makes a great wrench that's perfect for it. Harbor Freight sells an oil filter wrench that should be perfect.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread