+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air bubbles in the piping and pump

Default Air bubbles in the piping and pump

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and a new pool owner. We just bought a house a few months ago with a 30X16 IG. In January we had to have a new filter installed. We had a DE, but they switched it out with a cartridge filter. Since then we have had a number of issues with air getting in the jets when we turn the filter on. We have small bubbles in the pump basket from time to time also. And the best we have noticed water shoots out of the pump basket sometimes when we turn it off. The newest thing now is the pump basket is losing water at times when the pump is not running. We are constantly filling our pool - maybe 2 times a week - not much but enough. We are hoping it is evaporation because 1. we live in FL and 2. the pool has direct sun a majority of the day.

I am looking for some information on what some of the possibilities could be. We have called the people who did our filter and are saying they will charge $375 to come out and look at it and if it is something they did then they will reverse the charge, but if they do not find anything, they keep the money. Being this is our first house we have been spending lots of money refinishing it and just do not want to throw that money away!

If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!!!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: air bubbles

Air in the jets means air is being sucked INTO your piping. The only place this can happen is in the piping in front of (upstream from) your pump. Suction leaks are notoriously hard to find, since there is no visible leak, only a spot where air is entering the piping.

It's quite possible that the contractor jostled your pump around, and worked a joint lose. Start checking at the pump lid, then the fitting screwed into the pump, then the valves and piping (suction side) that are above ground.

Default Re: Air bubbles in the piping and pump

Thanks pool doc! I'll start there. I am just hoping there isn't a leak underground! Not what we need as new home owners! If it makes sense it looks as if the air is being pushed out of the jets when they turn on. Thanks again for your reply.

+ Reply to Thread