+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ecostar vsp shakes my plumbing

Default New ecostar vsp shakes my plumbing

Just replaced my 2hp Hayward single speed with an Ecostar VSP installed by Leslie's Pool Supplies. The motor end feels stable, but I can feel the impeller end moving like an out of balance tire and it shakes my 2" plumbing commensurate with the rpm. Is this normal?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New ecostar vsp shakes my plumbing

I'm not the pump expert but it certainly sounds like a pump with faulty bearings right out of the box.
    Carl

Motor or impeller bearings?

P.s. These pumps draw 26 watts when idle all the time there is power to them, running or not. They never mention that in the sales literature.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I also am no expert but I have that pump, I think mine had been returned before I got it. I'd experienced intermittenet noise and vibration at the fan end (not like you describe) and in a little over a year, the shaft seal started leaking. When I took it apart to replace the shaft seal, I found the end plate of the motor (fan end) detached from the motor housing and the long screws that are supposed to hold it in place were not to be found. I tapped the plate back into the housing, gently reinstalled the pump. Runs smooth and quiet now like it should.

Sound to like Leslie's Pool Supplies should fix / replace your pump.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Also, it could be a bent motor shaft or even something stuck in the impeller. I would inspect the impeller first and if that is clear then look into a warranty replacement.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    look into a warranty replacement.
    What he said. New motors should not vibrate or pulsate -- one that does, is quite likely to have an abbreviated lifespan. Replace it while you can.

Thank you for all the replies. I should make it clear that the electric motor is not vibrating, humming maybe, as one would expect. It is the impeller end that shakes the 2" pvc coming out (or going into) the impeller end. Leslie's had their installer, certified by Hayward, come back out to "look" at it, unfortunately, while I was at work. He reported normal motor vibration. This is what happens when you're not there to see what gets checked. I called Leslie's back again, they promised to send someone out again, but so far all I've got is lip service. I was present during part of the installation, but not when it primed for the first time; I had to go get a replacement 240V 20A switch while the installer continued work.

Does anyone else have this pump? Does your pump shake your plumbing coming off the impeller?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Also, it could be a bent motor shaft or even something stuck in the impeller. I would inspect the impeller first and if that is clear then look into a warranty replacement.
    Did you inspect the impeller? I doubt the service tech did.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I did not inspect the impeller yet. I'm concerned about voiding my warranty. At the same time, if I have them open it up and they find debris from my pool in the impeller, then maybe I'll have to pay for the service call and labor. But shouldn't the basket prevent any debris from entering the impeller that it can't spit out?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'll make you the same offer I made another user -- take a video of the pump running, on low and high, and send it to me (poolforum@gmail.com). It's much easier to get an idea of what your dealing with, if we've got both sight and sound.

+ Reply to Thread