+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bromine Pool vs salt water system (SWCG)

Default Bromine Pool vs salt water system (SWCG)

My pool builder is strongly recommending bromine + uv for a pool. Is that a good setup or should I go with SWCG?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Bromine Pool

Generally, chlorine is preferable to bromine, unless you have very hot water, as in a hot tub. Chlorine is far cheaper and easier to maintain. An SWCG system IS a chlorine system and is fully compatible with other forms of chlorine--you can use them together.

But an SWCG system won't save you money over regular maintenance via our B-B-B method of maintenance. It should save you time and allow you to leave your pool unattended.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Bromine Pool

Bromine + UV is a good system for whomever sells the UV system, the replacement lamps, and the bromine.

It's not so good for whoever owns or operates the pool.

(membership updated)

Default Re: Bromine Pool vs salt water system (SWCG)

Thanks for the input. I'm going with the swcg.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Be sure to learn how to use the B-B-B system. It's 100% compatible with an SWCG and if you have problems with the SWCG, will keep your pool clean and sanitary.
    You'll need a good test kit and we recommend the Taylor K-2006 or K-2006C kit you can get by clicking on PoolDoc's signature link.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Easypare View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm going with the swcg.
    Just so you know, people have reported fewer problems with the AutoPilot or Hayward systems. None of them last as long as you'd hope, but the Intellichlor (which I've installed, unfortunately) barely make it to their warranty date.

Buy big, and turn the unit down. Life expectancy is primarily a function of ON-hours.

Good luck.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

In addition to the K-2006 (or 2006C) kit that Carl recommended above, you should also buy the Taylor salt kit. Both kits are available through the Amazon link in my signature below. By going through that link, the forum earns a little money which helps keep the forum up and running.

Another thing --- even with a SWCG, if you ever need to 'shock' your pool, it is best to do so by just using bleach instead of the 'superchlorinate' setting on your unit. It will save the cell life of your SWCG. As Ben noted in the post above mine, cell life expectancy is related to ON hours.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

+ Reply to Thread