+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for replacing tile at waterline

Default Advice for replacing tile at waterline

I am replacing a waterfall in my pool which required me to remove the existing tile at the waterline and I need to replace it. I have a salt water chlorination system. I was hoping I could get some advice for the following questions:

1. Could I use any tile for along the waterline? (porcelain, ceramic, glass, travertine, marble, etc) or should I avoid natural stone? Or are there any other requirements I need to look for?
    2. I was thinking of this glass 1x1 tile, but it has metal. Would that be OK? http://www.flooranddecor.com/aruba-m...in-x-1in.html# (if posting links isn't OK, let me know and I'll edit this out)
    3. What kind of mortar should I use?
    4. Do I need to prepare the concrete surface before tiling over it? Waterproofing?

Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Advice for replacing tile at waterline

I'm not a tile guy so the help I can offer is rather limited, but . . .

1. Natural stone is almost always more work and more problems than manufactured products.
    2. Normally, you have to use frost-resistant (non-porous) tile in pools, but that's not as much of an issue for most of Florida. Still, it's likely that ONLY pool tile will be warranted for your application.
    3. Do NOT use any latex mortar, grout or additives. Other than that, read the mfg's lit. Epoxy grout is probable most durable, but is tricky to work with.

. . . membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread