+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring a 2 Speed swimming pool pump

Default Wiring a 2 Speed swimming pool pump

I'm in the process of replacing the AO Smith / Century 2 speed motor on my Jandy Super II filter. I have it connected to a RS 6 control system.

The wiring on the old motor was:
    Term. 1 - Black
    Term 2 - Red
    Term. 3 - Blue

The new motor terminals are A, L1, L2.

I wired the new motor:

A - Red
    L1 - Black
    L2 - Blue

The issue I'm having is it runs opposite of what it should. When the system is on high the motor runs lo-speed. When you turn on low speed, the pump runs high. Also I'm not sure, but the motor looks like it is running backwards. I changed the wires around it did not seem to help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: 2 Speed Filter Motor

I'm just guessing but usually in 220v Black and Red are the hot circuits. I'd GUESS that A is the neutral and should be Blue, and L1 and L2 should be the Black and Red.

But I could be completely wrong.
    Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Given the color of the wires, the wiring for the old motor should have been 230v and the new motor should be a 230v motor so there is no neutral wire only a common wire. You need to figure out which of the wires is common i.e. non-switched). My guess is the black wire and that should be on L2. The low speed switched wire should be on the A terminal and the high speed switched wire should be on the L1 terminal.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

My guess is close to Carl's, Black and Red are usually hot legs. Blue is odd, could it be Green? Make model of the new motor? Pictures?

Best advice I can give: hire a qualified , licensed electrician with pool experience.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

In the US, hot wires are colored Red Black and Blue. In some areas, blue is common for an alternate hot wire. Three hot wires most likely means a 230v 2 speed motor. But the terminal connections I mentioned above I know are correct as I have 2-speed motor with the same labeled terminals.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/po...es-d_1687.html
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Mark is usually pretty good on pumps. I'd go with his assessment. Despite that, 220/230 wiring is usually: Black and Red: Hot, White: Neutral Green: Ground.
    Carl

Except that neutral (White) is only used on 115v wiring. 230v wiring generally does not have a white wire unless it is mixed with a 115v load.

The only real unknown is which colored wire is the common, high speed and low speed. Most of the time black is chosen as the common and red high speed and blue low speed but it depends on the electrician.
    Mark

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

In Mark's link, Black, Red, and Blue are for 3 phase service - rare in the US outside industrial settings. In 3 phase 120V, you'd measure 208V between any two legs (each phase is 120 degrees apart). Most household service is 120V/240V. The 120V is from one phase to Neutral (the same as ground at the service entrance). The 240V service is also single phase with two 120V hot legs 180 degrees apart. As Mark points out, Neutral is not needed for 240V.

Please hire a licensed electrician with pool experience.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Blue is identified as part of 3-phase but it is also optionally allowed for a third color in split phase wiring. Where I live, blue seems pretty common in household wiring. In fact, when we had our kitchen redone, that is all they used because I think that they wanted to be able to tell the difference between new and old wiring since the old wiring was both red and black (70s house). I asked the electrician about it and he said that the code now allows them to use blue for household wiring.

For a 230v 2 speed motor, there are three hot wires to contend with so to tell them apart, you really need three colors. My pump motor is also wired with three colors; red, black and blue.
    Mark

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread