+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Haywood Chlorinator Cap Removal

Unhappy Haywood Chlorinator Cap Removal

Has anybody had issues trying to unscrew the Haywood Chlorinator cap/top? I have tried, my 300lb son has tried, I even tapped the top with a hammer to get it moving to no avail.

I need to fill with 3" tabs but can't get the top off. Woe is me. Help!!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Haywood Chlorinator Cap Removal

Assuming you are talking about something like this:

then your best bet for opening the chlorinator, without damage, is a set of light duty strap wrenches, like these:
    Alltrade 070008 2 Piece Got Wrench Set
    A heavy duty strap wrench, with a nylon strap and aluminum handle may crack or even collapse the chlorinator. These rubber strap wrenches should allow you to apply as much force as can be safely applied. Use the large one on the lid, and the small one on the body of the chlorinator, to apply counter-force and avoid twisting the unit or cracking the pool pipes.

One caution: check the dimensions on the chlorinator. That particular set of wrenches is for 6 3/8" or less, and 4" or less. I don't have a CL100 on hand, and Hayward doesn't have a dimensioned drawing I can find, so I'm not sure that they are large enough.

If not you may need to look at other options.

REGARDLESS:

1. Make sure your pump is OFF, before you try to open the chlorinator.
    2. Make sure you are prepared for the possibility that you may break the chlorinator, leaving you unable to circulate pool water. If the lid is well and truly stuck, you may not get it off, without breaking the chlorinator.
    3. If you end up replacing the chlorinator, get one of these:
    Rainbow (Pentair) 320 inline chlorinator
    They are far superior to the Hayward models.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread