+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buy SWCG?

Default Buy SWCG?

First time pool owner via a new home purchase. Studying about SWCG. Should I use or not. I really like the idea of testing and managing my pool as a hobby. With that said here are the options I am looking at.

1. Use pool testing and chemicals via pinch a penny (what I am doing now)
    2. Employ the BBB method using store bought products (to save money....also am awaiting delivery of my Taylor K-2006 kit)
    3. Hire a monthly pool service which installs a SWCG (Maintainence of the SWCG and other chems included in the monthly price)
    4. Purchasing a SWCG system from Amazon and installing myself and use the BBB method to adjust as necessary.

Looking for the most cost effective and practical solution.

As stated I am a newbie to this and would appreciate your feedback.

I am a do it your self person but also value my time and understand some things are worth paying for and not wasting your valuable time keeping up with.

For reference I have a marcite unground pool (approx 20,000 gallons). The marcite is wearing and will likely need to be replaced in one to two years.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Buy SWCG?

It's simple: if you take the time to learn the B-B-B system it will easily be the cheapest. I HAVE an SWCG but only because my lifestyle changed and I'm away from home a lot and it gives me peace of mind, but not because it's cheaper. I could buy about 12 years of Liquid Chlorine for what it cost me, and every 5 years I'll have to replace the cell...which costs as much as 5 years of LC as well.

The B-B-B system is simple and easy but you MUST give your pool 2-5 minutes a day, everyday during your swim season.

I can't imagine any reason to hire a pool service for a residential pool unless you are seriously physically challenged.
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by cskid View Post
    I really like the idea of testing and managing my pool as a hobby.
    Me, too! I like messing with my pool so enjoy visiting my pool each day to test even if I don't get in!

Welcome to the forum!

I can do 5 minutes a day, LOL

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

That's all it will take once you know how to do it...actually probably 2 minutes a day on average, and 15 - 30 minutes once a week.

The trick is to get your water proper levels and test every day, adjusting what is off. Certain things, like T/A and CYA can wait for once a week. But it's easy to add bleach, borax, or muriatic acid as needed each day when you test for them. You ANTICIPATE problems and get ahead of them.

Do this and you'll rarely, if ever, need to shock your pool.

An SWCG can make it even easier, especially if you are away a lot, but it won't make it cheaper.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread