+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning pool after previous home owner

Default Cleaning pool after previous home owner

So I will be moving into a house this saturday that has a pool. I did my walkthrough yesterday before closing. I have already purchased a K2006C kit. I will post the results around Sunday.

How should I clean the pool initally? I have read the links on members signatiure to the pool solution tips. This is what I plan on doing, let me know if I am doing something wrong.

The pool is clear but has dirt and some branches.
    I was planing on removing large items (branches and leaves), then turining on the pump. then brushing the pool to remove any algae and pusing dirt towards the pump. Would this be ok untill I post results from the water?

Outdoor inground pool. gunite.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Cleaning pool after previous home owner

Generally OK.

But, I'd recommend getting a leaf bag if you can, and also scooping leaves out. Depending on your pool's setup, they could completely obstruct the main drain, or stop up your pump. Links below.

Also, start adding bleach, at the rate of 2 gallons per 10K gallons each evening. Otherwise, you may create a massive algae bloom, by circulating all the algae.

And, purchase a cheap local OTO/phenol red drops kit, to test both pH and chlorine. If the pH is below 6.8, start working to raise it ASAP. If the pool's not circulating, dissolve the borax (or soda ash = washing soda) in buckets of hot water, before pouring into pool. 1 box of borax, or 1/2 box of soda ash at a time, per 10K gallons. Bleach, borax and washing soda are all available at Walmart in the laundry section.

===================================

Pole and brush for pools less than 20' wide:

Medium duty:
    Poolmaster 20172 Premier 18-Inch Nylon Aluminum Back Pool Brush
    Jed Pool tools Inc 50-560-16 16-Feet Professional Deluxe Anodized Telescopic Pool Pole

fiberglass pole -- longer lasting, but heavier:
    Hydro Tools 8375 8- to 16-Foot Adjustable Commercial Fiberglass Telescopic Pool Pole
    Light duty:
    Hydro Tools 8351 6- to 12-Foot Adjustable Blue Anodized Step-Up Telescopic Pool Pole

Poolmaster 18100 ABS Curved Pool Brush, 17-1/2-Inch

I will close tomorrow. I will go in tonight and pour the chlorine in. Will that be ok if the pool is not circulating? I cant add the borax and washing soda since I have no access to hot water untill tomorrow. I will test the water tomorrow and probably find the PH low like you say.

Does the K-2006C not include a OTO/phenol red drops kit?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You can pour the bleach in, with the pump off. But, don't just pour it all in one spot, unless you dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket first. (As always, wear old clothes: my personal experience is that if you wear a new cotton shirt, a tiny droplet of bleach will ALWAYS splatter from somewhere and put a hole in it. I have many hole-y shirts.)

Taylor makes a OTO/phenol kit (K1000), but I recommend that you purchase a cheap local one for immediate use.

Consoleman,
    I think Doc is suggesting the cheap OTO kit to tide you over until you get the K 2006. Based on your other threads, I suspect you already have it, in which case I'd use the K 2006 to do the tests. OTO is used by some as an "in between" K 2006 tests. You could probably use the 10ml sample size initially until you figure out what you have, but Doc may want more accurate tests using the 25 ml sample. In either case you only need 1 scoop of powder for the FC test.
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

Quote Originally Posted by nefretrameses View Post
    I think Doc is suggesting the cheap OTO kit to tide you over until you get the K 2006.
    Correct.

In either case you only need 1 scoop of powder for the FC test.
    *IF* one scoop produces the pink color. If there's no color, 2 scoops may be needed to verify that the chlorine level is really zero. Sometimes, when the chlorine is very high, 1 scoop won't produce a sustained pink color.

Ok, got it! I didnt understand why an expensive kit would not come with a PH tester.
    In-ground gunite 17,600 Gal, Nautilus FNS 36 DE Filter

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The K-2006 DOES have a pH test in it but it does NOT have the OTO type of chlorine test in it. That is the reason that Ben is suggesting that you buy an OTO/pH kit. For the OTO part.

+ Reply to Thread