+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Closing with "pink slime and white water mold"

Default Closing with "pink slime and white water mold"

Been using the BBB method several successful years with the help of this forum. Closed the pool (mesh cover) and then found the pink slime/mold in the pump filter. Never had this problem before!
    Can I put off fixing this problem until spring???

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Closing with "pink slime and white water mold"

Could.

If you can easily restart your pump and filter, I'd recommend leaving the cover on, but going ahead and cleaning up the pool. Is that an option for you?

Thanks so much for your reply, PoolDoc! The pump is still running - I added 2 - 121oz bottles of Clorox (the new 33% stronger), and tested one hour later - 0ppm showed up, so I added 3 more bottles and tested the next morning and had only 1ppm - took sample to pool store and they showed the same. How can I kill it without brushing? I always have some mustard algae in Spring - can I just wait and kill it all at once? Here are my numbers:
    CL - 1 (0 by now)
    PH 7.6 (after adding 1/2 box borax)
    TA-120
    CYA 45

25,000 vinyl IG
    25K vinyl in-ground pool with mesh cover; PF=5

PoolDoc, please help! Will I be able to kill all this stuff in the spring??? Wanting to turn off the pump and winterize, but I'm afraid!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Have you looked at our Best Guess table? With a CYA of 45, you need to maintain an FC of 15 at least. If it's a concrete pool you can safely go higher.
    I'm not sure what the exact new stronger bleach is, but I'm going to assume it's 8.25%. Now with your pool, each gallon will add about 3.3 ppm of chlorine, so you'd need at least 4 1/2 gallons all at once just to get it to 15 if you didn't have algae...then it gets consumed killing algae.

If I were you I'd be planning on adding up to 5 gallons 3x a day until I could maintain an FC of 15ppm. Or, if you can get 12% liquid chlorine, each gallon will add nearly 5ppm, so I'd plan on adding up to 3 gallons of that 3x day.
    Carl

Thanks for your reply CarlD! Guess I'll have to reopen the pool - peeked under the cover yesterday and it already looks like a swamp

Oh my goodness!! Took the cover off - green swamp - added (5) 121 oz 8.25% Clorox two hours ago - just tested and showed 1.5ppm!!!!! Adding 4 more now. Can this really be happening?? Been scooping out chunks of green slime for 2 hours - using kneehigh hose in the skimmer - getting clogged every 10 minutes - rinsing and replacing. I'll have to take the hose off skimmer for the night - will my filter blow up???

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Gotta get that junk out of the pool.
    Carl

Tested this morning and found "0" CYA - it was 45 a few days ago. Is that possible? Expected the sand filter to have way high pressure this morning, but it didn't go up - could I have a filter problem? When I turn off the pump water rushes back into the pumps skimmer - it loses prime and I have to add water to get it started again. Thanks for your advice!!!

MASSIVE amounts of algae have been known to consume CYA and leave (I think) ammonia. If the filter pressure didn't go it, it's filtering--but you may have a leak in your plumping. It should be self-priming.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread