+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is impeller ring on Hayward Super II needed?

Default Is impeller ring on Hayward Super II needed?

Discovered that I forgot to reinstall the impeller ring on my Hayward Super II (2hp) pump after replacing the seal. The pump seems to be working fine, with no noticeable vibration or unusual noise. I notice that smaller Hayward Super II pumps don't even show an impeller ring on a parts schematic. What does the impeller ring do, and is it really necessary?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Impeller ring

It increases the efficiency of the pump (i.e. reduces re-circulation losses) and it also reduces axial/radial loads on the motor shaft. So although you don't see any difference now, it could possibly reduce the life of the bearings in the motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Default Re: Impeller ring

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I replaced the ring today.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread