+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winterizing Intex Saltwater Pool

Default Winterizing Intex Saltwater Pool

I have an Intex 9x19 above ground pool with a Saltron Chlorine generator. Coming up to my first winter with it in North Coastal San Diego County. Going to leave it up, but am wondering what to do with it for the next several months? Winterize, How? or just keep maintaining the chemistry using less of everything as needed.
    Weather is very moderate usually around 55-65 degrees, very seldom below that. Occasional wind, 9 or 10 inches of rain a year. Any suggestions as to what I should do for the winter. Thank you.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Winterizing Intex Saltwater Pool

Since you don't get freezing, I'm not sure how to answer your question. However, as your water gets colder it requires far less chemicals to stay balanced. Below 60, algae has a rough time growing and is easily inhibited. Even below 65, it slows down a lot, so the cooler temps may take care of themselves. Here in the NE we have to plan for much colder weather and freezing, so lines have to be cleared or removed, pumps stored, returns and drains plugged, etc.
    Carl

Default Re: Winterizing Intex Saltwater Pool

We have similar weather here in Florida, probably more humidity. We keep our pool open all year, but once November comes around, we use less chemicals and run the pump fewer hours. If we run 8-9 hours in summer, it's more like 6-7 for Sept. - Oct. and maybe 4 during winter till March when we ramp back up. We keep our chlorine at a nominal level for our CYA, but it takes less to do so. We previously used tri-chlor tabs in a feeder set at 5 in summer and 1-1/2 for winter. I imagine you can dial down your SWCG similarly. Once you figure out your "winter" setting, you can probably extend your normal testing interval as well.
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

+ Reply to Thread