+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reparing a large rip in an in ground vinyl liner

Default reparing a large rip in an in ground vinyl liner

My 16 x 32 in ground vinyl liner pool installed in 1974 had it's liner replaced 15 years ago. I was not happy with the replacement because the liner at the pool corners was streatced to fit resulting in the liner ending up 6 inches from the pool's fiberglass corner. Recently I discovered a significant rip at the corner extending from 6 inches from the top edge of the pool to about 6 inches below the top of the water surface. Significant water was running through the rip getting behind the liner and pool wall. Fortunately I had a vinyl pool repair kit consisting of 6 inch by 24 inch clear plactic and two tubes of vinyl glue. I applied a row of the vinyl glue to the plastic and covered the rip. The patch has held now for two weeks however I do not have any confidence in the patch serving as a permanent solution. That being the case I was thinking of covering the patch with a vinyl border material which I find offered on the internet. I have several questions. What is the likihood that such would provide a permanent solution? The border material is "peel and stick". How reliable is a peel and stick application. Instead should I use regular vinyl liner material and secure it with "Boxer 100" adhesive? Lastly, how would a commercial pool company repair the liner?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: reparing a large rip in an in ground vinyl liner

Anything you can do that works is fine, but . . .

I don't think you're going to find any one doing professional repairs of a 15 year old liner; instead, I think you'll find surprise that it's lasted as long as that. Replacement is the only option I can really recommend.

Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread