+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First test with k2006

Default First test with k2006

Happy Labor Day Weekend to all.

We bought a house two months ago with inground pool. I have been reading this forum for hours and hours over the last couple of weeks and boy has it really opened my eyes. Taylor k2006 came in today and here are the results of the test.

Free chlorine (did this test twice)
    #1 25ml sample 22 drops times .2 = 4.4ppm
    #2 10ml sample 9 drops times .5 = 4.5 ppm

Combined chlorine (two times as well)
    #1 25ml sample 2 drops times .2 = .4ppm
    #2 10ml sample 1 drop times .5 = .5 ppm

PH 7.8
    TA 15 drops times 10ppm = 150ppm
    CH 15 drops times 10ppm = 150 ppm

Only broke the drops down on this first one to make sure there are no errors in my sampling.

CYA--less than 30--filled comparator all the way to rim. Couldn't really see dot from arms length but could see from up close. At the 30 line I could see dot from anywhere. Probably need to do this test again. Any advice/tips on performing this test greatly appreciated.

I currently have SWGC off. I have muratic acid on hand to reduce ph.

8 year old pool and vinyl liner is worn out. Faded, leaking etc. I plan on having replaced before next season. Constanly have to add water so I understand CYA being low and realize I will have to stay on top of this until closing. I could really use some advice on current action and future balance maintance.

BTW--Salt--cheap Wal-Mart stips and automation indicator both say 3100 ppm. Taylor K1766 indicated 3800-4000 ppm. Which should I believe. Taylor test had white particles as I added drops. Could this have caused it to read high.

Glad to be here.
    Scot
    Inground vinyl 18' X 40'--8'4" deep 3' 6' shallow = 32,000 gallons : SWCG : 1 hp Hayward Northstar pump: Sta Rite sand filter : auto cover : Taylor k2006 : utility water

Default Re: First test with k2006

Looks pretty good to me. Hows the water look? If its clear I'd add some CYA. You can use Di - chlor which also adds CYA or granular CYA. Put it in a sock in front of a return and give it a squeeze once in a while. You will need to give it a few days to disolve before retesting.

You're probably good enough with 10ml samples and do a 25ml sample occasionally for all tests. For FC you need less of the powder than recommended one scoop for a 25ml sample.

The CYA test takes some getting used to. Check out the Taylor website and look at the video demos including for CYA. You can mix the sample for the CYA test and let it sit while you do your other tests. You can pour the sample back into the bottle after you take a reading and do it again. You should be in sunlight when looking for the dot to disappear while holding the vial waist high. Colder water makes the 'cloud' form slower.
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

Thanks for the reply.

The pool is pretty clear in daylight. I have some small white particles that I can see underwater with goggles. I can also see at night in front of the light. There seems to be a lot of them. Cloudy haze in front of light at night and can see particles. Really fine and mostly float on top and skimmers (2) don't seem to be able to pull them down. I figure this may be a problem for a different post.

Thanks for the tip on the FC test.

I have poked around the Taylor website some and will look for the information you suggested. I will work to get the CYA bumped up. The advice on the sampling is really appreciated.
    Inground vinyl 18' X 40'--8'4" deep 3' 6' shallow = 32,000 gallons : SWCG : 1 hp Hayward Northstar pump: Sta Rite sand filter : auto cover : Taylor k2006 : utility water

At 80 degree water temp. you have a saturation index of +0.3. That's not so bad. You could try to reduce your TA to like 80. There's a sticky on how to lower your TA (basically lower Ph way down and then aerate). Although you should give priority to the levels required by your SWCG system I think. Your Ph is also a tad higher than it could be. My point being a positive saturation index indicates that you are more likely to get scale. So what you may be seeing is suspended preciptation.

I'd bet that your sand filter needs attention. It doesn't seem to be getting the particles, cause your chemistry is just not that bad. Do the DE test. Pour a cup of DE powder into your skimmer. Watch a return and if you see a cloud of DE returning, your filter needs attention. I have read about many with sand filters who use DE on a regular basis because it provides filtering for amaller particles. After backwash, they replace it. If the pool is 8 years old and the liner seems to need attention, I'd bet that the same attention was paid to every other system in the pool.

With regard to salt testing, Doc has a sticky for finding the best test kit in "Testing and Adjusting Pool Water Chemistry". He recommends AquaChek salt strips for salt, or the Taylor k-1766. Both can be tricky to use. Strips require immersion for at least 5 and probably 10 minutes.The drop based kit is more accurate.

Read more, there's lots to learn.
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

Thanks again for the advice.

Upon your recommendation and further research on this forum, I have decided to lower my TA to around 80. I already have it down to 120.

I did the DE test on the filter and could not see any shoot back through the returns. Pump pressure went up a little over a pound ad has went up three more pounds in the last 36 hours so it may be starting to catch some of the particles.

Water seems to be clearing. Last night the particles didn't seem as bad in front of the light.

I still believe that I have some sand filter issues though. There is a small amount of the fine sand collecting on the step that has not been there before. I can tell a difference between that sand and the sand from the concrete which also collects there.

I will update the results again after these changes.

I have the CYA but am going to wait until I am through lowering TA.

I am also putting priority on tracking SWCG to determine right runtime/percentage.

PS--Source water TA high as well
    FC--2.5
    CC .5
    pH--7.2
    TA--160
    Ch--150

So after a 5 psi rise at your filter, you should backwash then add more DE. I agree that the pressure rise is an indication that you are filtering more junk. And if its noticeable as well, it shouldn't take long to clear.

It takes a few days for the CYA to dissolve enough to register on the test. You could start getting it in there now so that when you jumped through all the other hoops your test will be pretty good. With low CYA you will be losing more FC than you need to during the day. Remember FC tracks with CYA - the higher the CYA, the higher your FC needs to be. Check out the best guess chart for guidance.

Sand from concrete? I imagine you mean from your concrete deck. If you're getting sand from your filter in the pool, your filter will need a look. It should have returned some of the DE, but maybe its a backwash issue. I've read about a "rinse" cycle after backwash??? I'm not familiar with sand filters except what I've read here.

I can't help you with the sand filter or the SWCG. I'd suggest that you start a new thread for each of these if you need further help. There's a lot of pretty talented folks at your disposal. I'd post specific make and model number of the device along with current test numbers. They will ask you anyway.

Let me know how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread