Since finding this site in June I have been using the BBB method and it works great! I would like to know what you recommend for closing this type of pool for the winter. I have read quite a lot of posts regarding closing, however few are in my location.
I was told by the previous owner of our house to drain the water past the outlet which attaches to the skimmer. This leaves a little over 1/2 the water in the pool. (That's a lot of water! And money!) But, if that's the way it works for these pools then so be it. Do you know if this is absolutely necessary for this type of pool?
I realize that whatever I need to add to winterize the water I need to do at full water level before drainage. Then remove the skimmer, drain the water, and cap the inlet and outlet holes. We bring the hoses, valves, pump, etc. indoors for storage. (And yes, I label and lube EVERYTHING because I'm anal!) The winter covers for Intex pools leave little to be desired and it gets extremely windy here. We can also have severe winters with snow and ice. You never know in MO what you're going to get! I bought an oversized cover, used the ratcheting cable, covered the outside rim with 3 layers of some type of pool-like saran wrap, and then eventually had to use rope tied to cinder blocks to keep the dang thing on.
We purchased the Hayward sand filter and pump in June. Have never closed one before. Do we take only the pump inside and leave the filter out for the winter?
I also used an In The Swim winterizing kit which included a floating device that released small amounts of "whatever" to do "whatever" to keep the water clear.
So! Now using the BBB method will you please tell me where my levels should be on the day I close and what needs to be added? (Won't be until the water drops below 60 degrees) Right now it's hotter than blazes here and the water is great at 85 degrees! My CYA seems to keep rising over the summer. It's at around 87 or so. Could that be because of the Trichlor tabs I use in the skimmer? I use one until it is dissolved and then replace it. They are BioGuard silk smart sticks containing Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 93.9% & other ingredients 6.1%. Each stick weighs .5 lbs. They say to use 1 per 5,000-7,000 gal. I use 1 for 13,600. I also have what is called a "WinterPill" by HaloSource. I can't find what chemicals it contains anywhere, but here is what their site says:
AquaPill WinterPill™ is an all-in-one formula with an exclusive 4-part blend to make spring openings faster and easier than ever! It has a clarifier to maintain sparkling clear water, a scale inhibitor to prevent scale build- up, and a stain inhibitor to prevent iron, copper and manganese stains. WinterPill is enzyme-enhanced – it naturally destroys all organics, preventing water ring, enhances filter performance and improves sanitizer efficiency.
I realize this is a ton of information, you usually get the opposite! Lol! Thank you so much. I'm trying to get prepared now. I need to purchase another bottle of R-0871. I'd like to order anything else I need at the same time.