Hi All

First off, i'd like to thank the site in general and all moderators in particular for all the info and help I have been getting just (silently) browsing the site. I have been a 2 year pool owner (actually adopted an AG vinyl pool on a house we bought 2 years ago) and practically all of the know- how I have been doing re: pool care i learned from this forum and others out there. It's just now that I got stumped by a question/problem where I found that it's time to formally register on this great site. Again thank you all.

QUESTION: For these past two seasons I have just been faithfully manually vacuuming my pool almost daily to keep it on decent shape for my kid's regular use. I have been planning/ reading a lot regarding auto pool cleaners and I just found them too expensive/ have not found a good deal online. For my situation I think a vacuum side cleaner is the best/practical way to go... And now friend of mine just gave me a classic Kreepy Krauly but with no hose. My question is can i use it for my pool before I buy the hose. I tried browsing about this for almost a week and have not found a clear answer.

FYI
Oval pool (3.5 ft shallow end, 4.5 ft deep end)
Vinyl
No stairs
With deck
Removable ladder

Thanks