+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mustard algae--OK to wait until pool closing to treat it?

Question Mustard algae--OK to wait until pool closing to treat it?

On two different occasions in the last few weeks, I spotted a small (about 2 ft x 3 in) streak of what I assume is mustard algae. It's more yellow than anything I've ever seen in my pool. Dirt is usually a tan/grey color and collects in the folds. This was on the angled slope of the side walls--once in the deep end and once in the shallow end. I've been able to keep it at bay with daily brushing and really keeping an eye on my chlorine levels. (CYA is reading between 50-60 so I'm keeping it at 5 ppm or slightly higher.) I know I will need to do the huge shocking process with the high chlorine levels and removing the light, etc. But we are about to get 90-100 degree days and I don't want to have the pool out of commission and clean all the pool toys while my kids are wanting to be in the pool.

Can I wait until it's almost time to close the pool and then do the shock process? Or will I risk making the mustard algae worse?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Mustard algae--OK to wait until pool closing to treat it?

I think, IMHO, you are taking a risk.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread