+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to use an Intex pump as a vacuum-EASY BREEZY WAY!

Wink How to use an Intex pump as a vacuum-EASY BREEZY WAY!

Getting the cloudy residue off the bottom of my pool was becoming a nightmare and it was also impossible it seemed with the water vacuum provided with my Intex pool kit. It wasn't gonna happen. The water vacuum just pushed it into billowing clouds of watery dust which recirculated right back into my pool water and would settle once again to the bottom.

I found a few suggestions regarding using the Intex pump as a vacuum but none of the methods would work with the equipment I had on hand.

So, I after some failed attempts, I finally devised an easy way to use the Intex filter as a vacuum.

Materials needed:

1 cold drink cozy (The soft foam kind)
    Electric tape
    vacuum hose and nozzle (like a wet vac hose, etc.)

To start, with pump turned off, unscrew the water inlet cover from the Intex pump inlet valve.

Slide the inlet cover into one end of the cozy. Push the cozy right to the ridge of the inlet cover where the threading begins. Mine fit perfectly and snugly, but if yours is too loose, it can be adjusted by wrapping electric tape around that end and pulling it snug around the filter end so no air can get through.

Next, slide your vacuum hose adapter end into the other end of the cozy. Mine was smaller than the cozy, so I snipped the end of the cozy a little and pulled it tight around the adapter end, then taped it with electric tape snugly.

Next, screw on the inlet cap with the hose attached to it. The inlet cap will keep the hose secure during operation since it screws in (yay!)

Be sure to immerse all of the hose and wand attachments to get all the air out of the line and keep it submerged throughout operation or you will loose suction-power and have to stop and get the air out again to continue.

Then, turn the pump on and get to vacuuming!

I have a picture showing the set up, but I can't see how to upload a photo to the pool forum. If someone can tell me how to do that I will provide a picture showing how easily this thing works.

Well, enjoy your clean and muck-free pool! I am :P

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: How to use an Intex pump as a vacuum-EASY BREEZY WAY!

I have a 1-1/4" pool vacuum hose I use to vacuum my pool with. The outside diameter of the cuffs on the ends are just the right size to fit inside the original (small) adapter for the over-the-wall skimmer.

I remove the skimmer hose, and just "plug in" the end of the vacuum hose, after filling it with water. Hint: you can fill your vacuum hose by holding one end over the return jet to blow the air out of the hose.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Default Re: How to use an Intex pump as a vacuum-EASY BREEZY WAY!

Thanks. I'll try to email it over here.

+ Reply to Thread