+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Hair????

Hybrid View

Wink Green Hair????

I am a newbie also. I have an above ground 24' round. We filled it up using water that goes thru our water filtration system. After testing, I found out that the pH level is zero and the total alkalintiy is zero. Chlorine was low, but I have added some to it and it is better. My studies of pools have led me to believe that the copper level is way too high. Need help!!!!!!Anyone please!!!!!

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

Default Re: Green Hair????

I don't remember my chemistry that well, but I don't think your pH is 0. How are you doing the test? How old is the test kit? Alakalinity can be raised by adding baking soda, which will also raise the pH. If your water truly was anywhere close to 0, it'd be interesting to watch when you added the baking soda That's one of the ways they make volcano's in school science projects

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

First of all you need to post some test numbers for Free chlorine, total chlorine, pH, total Alkalinity, Calcium, and CYA (stabilizer). How are you testing the water. Are you using test strips, a drop based kit, or having the pool store do it? It is immpossible for pH to be 0! if you filled your pool with concentrated sulfuric acid the pH would be 1! Why do you think you have copper in your water? Have you tested for it? A little more info would be helpful in determining just what problem you are having. Your post title is "Green Hair". Has anyones hair turned green after going into the pool?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Thumbs down Re: Green Hair????

I just noticed the winking icon in the title of this post. I also notices that this is 'readytoscreams' first post! I think someone is having fun but I think it is a sorry way to do it. There are too many people on here who are serious about asking for help with real problems. If this is not a bogus post I applogize and will try to help you but if it is I think the moderators need to alert Ben about this person.

Just my 2 cents!

I am not playing games. I am truley having problems and came here for help. I bought my test strips from Blue Dolphin just yesterday. Maybe my info was not correct or precise enough. All the colors were at the lowest end on the test strip. The pool is at my mother's house and she used some kind of copper algicide to try and get the pool ready for this season and was having no luck. She turned it over to me. After my children went swimming on Monday, Labor Day, they got out and thier scalps and anything white on thier swim suits were green. I came home and started researching on the internet for answers. I found this message board. I REALLY NEED SOME ANSWERS!!!

Something I should have mentioned is, I am not pool savvy when it comes to all the different pool terms I've been reading. I also apologize for the winking icon. Didn't realize it was winking.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

We'll try to help you, but there is some basic information we need first. Please take a sample of your water to a pool store and have them test it, and post results here for TC, FC, pH, TA, CYA, and any metal content. Don't let them talk you into buying ANYTHING. For help clearing up problems, the test strips simply aren't accurate enough. Post some drop-based numbers up, and we can go from there.

Janet

ok I appologize and can give you some real help here! If the kids hair or scalp is still green read this post (my reply)
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=326
    Test strips just won't do it for testing a pool that needs to be balanced. Go to walmart and get their 6 way or 5 way test kit that will test chlorine, pH, alkalinity, calcium, and CYA (stabilizer). It costs around $15 dollars and run a set of tests and post the resutls. You can also go to a pool store that does water testing with reagents ,not strips, and post those results if you like. Most pool stores can also test for metals so ask them to do so if you choose this route. Don't buy anything they recommend at this point until you post the test results.
    Don't let the kids back in the pool until you get the water under control!

Also, if you can let us know EXACTLY what products have been put into the pool and if possible how much. It sounds like it was overdosed on copper!

Once again I aplogize but after reading through the thread a second time and seeing the winking icon it just seems a bit strange! No hard feelings?

Thanks, no hard feelings. Now that I know someone is taking me serious, I'll take the water and have it tested. Get back to you tommorow. I read that Borax will raise the pH level? Just want to know if this is true and can you tell me what all the different levels are and what they do? pH, free chlorine, chlorine, alkalinity, etc.

+ Reply to Thread