+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pool builder from H**L!

Default Re: Pool builder from H**L!

Start documenting all the issues with a camera !!!!!!!! Hire an attorney and tell him you do not want any further repairs performed by your current loser pool builder ( why would you, they are never done right) . Sue the current builder in order to get the money to have a reputable builder perform the repairs.

I was forced to take this approach on a home build a few years back.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

update, builder is supposed to be out next week because some of the ordered parts are supposed to come in. Not holding my breath but I am going to do a bucket leak test and leave it on the swim out so he can see just how much the water is going down still! Maybe that will get him to fix the lousy pvc welds on the valve that is dripping and do a pressure test on the system!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

As someone who has "successfully" sued and "won" a court case against a bad contractor (not a pool builder, however). I can tell you that, even when you win...you lose! We spent almost $20k in legal fees, over two years of time and now, we're trying to collect the $13k in legal fees we were awarded (we were awarded the legal fees we had incurred up until the court trial...the $$ spent afterward, trying to collect the judgement are out of *our* pockets.

Stay OUT of the legal system unless you have NO other alternative. It is NOT a fair and equitable system and is "geared" toward the "defendant".

It's very easy to say "get a lawyer", but, if you have to actually sue, you could spend thousands of dollars and STILL have to pay to have your work completed (which is what happened to us). What we have learned is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH anyone you hire to do a job for you and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Best of luck!

Stephanie

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

That is why I am trying to get as much done as possible before I take that step!

Well, much has happened since my last post. My PB had to go before the construction review board in our county (I was at the meeting along with several other of his victims). He was given 30 days to complete all the pools so they pass final inspection (there are 18 of them that are over a year overdue for finals, mine included) and is not allowed to pull any new permits. One of his customers had a meeting at her house with 2 police detectives (I was there too) since several of his customers have had contractor liens placed on their property because he did not pay his subcontractors and because of other problems. The detectives said that they most likely have a case against him after reviewing all the evidence submitted and that they would persue it. He also drove a backhoe into the wall of this lady's NEW house and caused extensive damage. It was accidental but he was not offering to repair the damage from what I understand. Her pool is in much worse shape than mine (not even close to completion) so I am one of the lucky ones by comparision. He is also facing possible criminal charges and the State might pull his contractors license. There was talk that he forged an electrical permit and used someone elses license number and forged their signature. I don't know if this is true or not. I do know that he had a pool that was not properly bonded (he actually had his workers bury the bond wire that was SPLICED so it would look like one continuous wire to pass final...the inspectors went back and dug it up and found it, had his workers cap off the main drain pipe underground so a pool would past a pressure test on final, and a little girl got shocked in the next county because of an improperly bonded pool and they are supposed to be bringing criminal charges against him for that. He closed his place of business and is geting out of pool construction.(He was dropped as a San Juan dealer (Finally! I called and emailed San Juan several times about some of the problems I was having and they NEVER responded to me) and was going to sell Viking but my understanding is the check he wrote them bounced.) He has to have all his pools ready for final inspection by the 24th of this month (august)..today is sunday the 20th and he was at my house today working on things by himself since he has no workers anymore.I am scheduled for final inspection tomorrow. We shall see what happens. He has not completed all the work but said he intends to over the next few weeks. He did bring over the new pool light that he has to install and some other pieces of equipment and plumbing and they are here at my house at least. I suspect that I will have to pay someone to finish the work and fix some of the bad work and damage that he has done to my pool. At this point I will be happy if my lighting works, my water features sort of work, and I have everything that I paid for in terms of equipment.
    I will say this to his credit, a week after the hearing at the review board he came over to my house and we sat down and made a list of all the things that still needed to be addresed. He came up with solutions that seem workable and I only had to compromise on one thing....I have to live with a light in my spa that has a cord so short that I will have to dump the spa water into the pool in the event I need to change the bulb. I can live with this minor inconvenience. Now I just have to wait and see if he will be good to his word. I don't know why he went so bad when he was an excellent PB when I did my research. I have some suspicions (At the meeting with the dectectives one person said that he went through their bathroom looking for drugs and asked another person for painkillers on several occasions.) I have heard from a former employee of his that his wife gave him an ultimatum about this. I will give him a chance and see what happens. There really isn't much more I can do now. My lawyer is ready but she already has said that I will probably have to pay someone else to finish the work if he doesn't and then get in line behind all his creditors and try and collect.
    This has been a wild ride and I want to get off!
    Last edited by waterbear; 08-21-2006 at 01:13 AM.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Wow, what a saga for you to have to go through. I hope that everything is finished soon, and you can enjoy your pool. Drugs are horrible - it goes through our society wreaking havoc in ways that people don't even imagine. Hopefully he will get help before he ruins anymore of his life, and anyone elses pool. Sometimes all of the research on finding a good contractor is not enough - luck comes into play too.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

tragic story..hit close to home for me after seeing a dateline program last week focused in some california home contractors and some of it was about the very issue of unlicensed unqualified contractors using other contractor licenses. how do the inspectors setting up the stings catch them? they set up a house in need of renos and invite contractors who are suspect to come by and give a quote. their easy way to find out who is potentially a suspect to invite is simply by going through the yellow pages and checking licenses where displayed against a registry and if they don't match...they admit that for all the success they have had in catching frauds, it's just the tip of the iceberg and the penalty in many cases has simply been nothing more than a fine.it's really buyer beware and scary!

I am so sorry for your troubles I wouldn't be surprised if this guy ends up filing a bankruptcy in hopes of discharging all his creditors (and whatever lawsuit judgments people have won against him.) Best of luck to you, and I really hope you can finally get your pool up and running and be able to enjoy it.

My understanding is that he has already started that.

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you waterbear. How exhausting!
    well, at least you have a beautiful pool & spa to enjoy...
    ( sounds like some people haven't gotten even close to that much out of this PB)

I hope that you can get everything up to the level of your desire, without much more out-of-pocket expenses.

I wish you Luck
    Gwyn :-)

+ Reply to Thread