+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to get chlorine free level correct?

Default how to get chlorine free level correct?

This is my first full year with a above ground vinyl pool, 12000 gal doughboy.
    Last year I didn't seem to have any problem, but only used it for 2 months before closing for winter.This spring I opened and all was great up to about 2 weeks ago.

I clean the pool twice a week with a robotic cleaner and a pole mounted vacuum for the fine dust that looks bad on the floor but disperses when touched.

I try to use only Bioguard products since last year all went great and fairly easy. I shock the pool once a week and add algae preventer at the same time. I tested my water last week and 4 times since then and found chlorine free was pretty high. at 10ppm I removed the bioguard smart sticks, 1 per 7000 gal as listed on bottle, usually have 2 in skimmer.

Removed for 3 days and now it tests at 7.5ppm so I put htem back in.
    The water temp with heater" not running" today is 83 Deg.

I got my taylor kit out today and ran a few sample tests.

7.5ppm Chlorine free
    0 total chlorine
    7.4 ppm PH
    130 ppm total alkalinity
    120 ppm calcium hardness
    95 ppm Cyanuric acid

should I get concerned about the chlorine free and CYA levels?
    I just cant seem to get the free chlorine level down and I haven't had to solar blanket on the pool.

In 2 days its that time of week to add my routine pool shock and starting to worry that trying to cure one issue will create another one.
    Sorry for the long post and hope all makes sense.

Thanks to any chemist out there, reading the Taylor pamphlet at times gets to be a little past me .

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: how to get chlorine free level correct?

Quit using the Bioguard products and just use bleach for your chlorine source. Your CYA is already high at 95 and you don't want it any higher. Bleach will not add any more CYA. With a CYA of 95, your chlorine level is not that high. Please read the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below for more about the connection between CYA and chlorine levels.

+ Reply to Thread