+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Different Procedures for Higher Average Water Temps?

Default Different Procedures for Higher Average Water Temps?

So happy to find this forum...tried to fill out the "pool chart entry form" but twice was rejected saying I was not registered. Maybe it will accept it after this first post.

Without getting into lengthy details yet, a general question: In climates where the summers are quite hot and small pools (Intex 4000gal AGP) reach fairly high average temps., (87 low in morning, 96 high in afternoon with air temps 82 low & 104 high) should I expect to modify somewhat your general rules for caring for Intex AG vinyl pools?

Thanks, and I will try to fill out the pool chart form later.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Different Procedures for Higher Average Water Temps?

Typically nothing different except that if you find that you have trouble keeping chlorine in the pool, you may want to run a little higher CYA levels than most pools.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

EDIT --- oops! I misread your post. I thought you said higher air temps. However, if you have higher water temps, you probably do have higher air temps so I guess the advice is the same.

Thanks Watermom, after reading info on this forum, my first problem is I've always used the test strips, so even tho my free chlorine always reads excessive (deep purple) and total chlorine high but acceptable, the green persists, so I'm assuming the strips are next to worthless. I've had 2 Intex pools over the last 6 years, but for some reason I got a huge algae bloom this spring, (well, we went on vacation, that's all it took, came back to green water with little squiggly tadpole looking critters swimming around). Used shock according to directions, very little improvement. Read elsewhere online ignore package directions, use 4-6 times the amount called for. I then used a shock (6X the directions) plus a flocculent. Pretty good results this time after siphoning overboard 1/3 the pool volume with el cheapo vaccuum tool. It only got about 60% of the stuff on the bottom, as the rest is kicked up into suspension during the process.

A week later, after maintaining off-the-chart high free chlorine level, added more flocculent, (even tho directions call for more shock, but not a repeat of flocculent) Next morning nice layer on bottom, again vaccuumed 1/3 to waste. Still don't have real clear water like in years past, so I'm ready to completely empty & start again.

I have concluded my 2nd problem is that the regular Intex filters are not adequate to capture the presumably dead algae. In years past, there has always been a small accumulation of grey "silt" on the bottom that passes thru the filter, but this settles out pretty quickly, and seems to be harmless. I have tried to maintain the other water properties within range, even tho after adding one of the recommended chemicals, the water turned cloudy again.

Having discovered this forum, I plan to follow the simple rules for Intex pools section.

Thoughts?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Much of what you ask about is covered in the SS recipe, if not fully explained.

The Best Guess page (linked in my signature block -- SS recipe link there, too) explains how you can have high chlorine and STILL have algae. Please note that the SS recipe applies ONLY to freshly filled pools. To use it, you'll need to drain and refill. Otherwise, you'll need to get a Taylor K2006 kit from Amazon (link, again), so you can measure and manage high CYA and chlorine levels.

The filter issue is covered on the SS page, and their are links there to cartridges that will both save you money AND perform better. But no matter what you do, the Intex pools have undersized pumps and filters, so you have to completely avoid algae to maintain good water quality.

Membership updated . . . and welcome to the forum.

Thank you Ben, I've finally got crystal-clear water as long as I let the dead algae settle out over a 24 hr period, and it's now only in patches covering about 20% of the bottom after a third vacuum-to-waste...I think at this point, a better quality filter cartridge will get this stuff out, once put into suspension with some pool activity. I'll use the link you recommend. You know, it's funny, I read Amazon reviews of folks really happy with the Intex originals because they last so long before needing to be changed.....well, duh!, that's because they don't filter well!

+ Reply to Thread