+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Started

Thumbs up Getting Started

I have a 28' round Doughboy. 4' deep and it is sunk 2' in the ground. It has gone to the frogs. Right now I have it ER on life support. I am hopeful it will pull through this trying time.

Really now . . . . So through the years the pool has been maintained haphazardly. I found this site it suites my style . . . Do-it-right and DIY. So I am here to learn.

Thank You for this great forum.
    Tim

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Getting Started

Start out by buying a good test kit. Taylor K-2006 or 2006C is available through the test kit link in my signature below. Then, post some good numbers for us.

In the meantime, scoop out as much debris as you can and add a couple of gallons of plain, unscented household bleach (generic from Walmart is fine). Brush your pool after you add the bleach. Run your pump 24/7 and backwash when the pressure rises 8-10psi over your clean filter pressure. (I assume it is a sand filter?)

Go ahead and pick up a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit from Walmart (yellow and red drops). Add bleach each night to keep the chlorine in the dark yellow range (above the tester's readable level). Keep your pH between 7.2-7.8 but don't test it when the chlorine level is above 5ppm or you'll get a falsely high pH reading. If the pH is too low, you can use some 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise it. Bleach and Borax can both be added slowly through the skimmer while the pump is running. It is safe to do these two things one right after another.

Do a lot of reading here on the forum, especially the stickied threads at the top of each section. (You will have to log out first to be able to see the rest of the forum until your membership gets upgraded.) Also, read over on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Getting Started

Membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread