+ Reply to Thread

Thread: chlorine level in attached spa

Default chlorine level in attached spa

My in-ground pool has an attached spa with a spillover (not sure if that's the right word) cut into the wall between spa and pool, so water can flow back and forth between the two.

I keep a chlorine tab bucket in my pool. Should I also keep one in the spa? I've tested the chlorine level in the spa and found that it's almost as high as in the pool, even without chlorine tabs. My filter system is set up so that some of the filtered water returns to the pool and some returns to the spa. So I'm assuming that some of the chlorinated pool water is returning into the spa. But the person who owned this home before me, kept a chlorine bucket in the spa as well as the pool.

I don't know if the spa needs to be as chlorinated as the pool, and how that should be handled. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    John

15K gallon in-ground plaster pool (30yrs old) - Pentair 420 Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter
    IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump - Ray-Pac 266 BTU gas heater

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: chlorine level in attached spa

If the pool is properly chlorinated at the appropriate FC/CYA ratio and if the spa water is the same, then you're fine. The spa doesn't need higher disinfection since the level in the pool is at the level high enough to prevent algae growth and that's much higher than needed to kill most bacterial pathogens.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Default Re: chlorine level in attached spa

great, thanks for the reply.
    John

15K gallon in-ground plaster pool (30yrs old) - Pentair 420 Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter
    IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump - Ray-Pac 266 BTU gas heater

+ Reply to Thread