+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Intex pool already turning green

Hybrid View

Default New Intex pool already turning green

I appreciate the info. I've learned so far, and I can tell this is a great forum.

I had a new 15' x 30'x 54" above ground pool installed a few weeks ago. We purchased the salt generator (not knowing anything about pools). The pool was filled with water, and the test kit we were provided with by the dealer showed good water quality.

A friend was asked to do the electrical and he agreed. He's a little slow getting the wiring done (i.e. the salt chlorine generator). Therefore, of course, the water is failing. I've been testing it almost daily, and the FC is 0. Today, I noticed some green slime.

I was curious if there was anything I could do to bring back or prevent the water quality from worsening until the guy gets around to wire up the salt chlorine generator?

I've been (and will continue) carefully reviewing and learning from the forum. Thank you!

Mike

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New Intex pool already turning green

Yes,

1. Add 1 gallon of PLAIN 8.25% household bleach ASAP.
    2. Purchase a cheap OTO / phenol red test kit (yellow / red drops) and use it.
    3. After the first dose, add 1/4 gallon doses of bleach each EVENING, till no trace of algae remains. Test the chlorine with the OTO -- if you get an ORANGE result, skip the bleach that evening. If you get a DARK yellow reading, add 1/8 gallon (2 cups).
    4. Meanwhile, read the SS recipe -- link in my blue signature block, below.
    5. Disconnect the copper part of the Intex generator.
    6. Leave the chlorine part of the generator OFF, till you've learned to run the pool without it.
    (A SWCG -- Salt Water Chlorine Generator -- is just a METHOD of adding chlorine. Contrary to the sales literature, you STILL have to learn to manage your pool chemistry. An SWCG will make it easier to go on vacation, since it can continue to add chlorine while you're gone.)
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-03-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Great info. Thank you!
    I did put the gal. of 8.25% bleach in already (reading the forum is so helpful).
    I'll proceed with the other suggestions (i.e. SWCG advice as that makes a lot of sense too).
    Thanks Again!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You're welcome.

Let us know how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread