+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need some advice as to how to keep my above ground pool clean.

Default I need some advice as to how to keep my above ground pool clean.

I need some advice as to how to keep my above ground pool clean.

I have small black particles that build up at the bottom of my above ground pool on a daily basis.

They are small, black and slimy and easily break up and dissolve if you step on them.

They can be vacuumed away but they always reappear the next day.

I need to know what causes them to form; only then will I be able to permanently deal with them.

Also, I have a thin green slime that builds up on the side of my pool. After a week the slime becomes very noticeable.

What causes the thin green slime to form?

I do add chlorine on a regular basis. Isn't that supposed to prevent slime buildup?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: I need some advice as to how to keep my above ground pool clean.

Quote Originally Posted by loonyless View Post
    I have small black particles that build up at the bottom of my above ground pool on a daily basis. They are small, black and slimy and easily break up and dissolve if you step on them.

I need to know what causes them to form; only then will I be able to permanently deal with them.
    It's very likely that the dots are caterpillar poop. If you have any sort of vegetation overhanging over the pool, it's almost certain. If you do not have any vegetation higher than the pool, within 10 feet of it, then we'll have to look for another explanation.

Also, I have a thin green slime that builds up on the side of my pool. After a week the slime becomes very noticeable. What causes the thin green slime to form?
    Green slime is caused by algae . . . which results from inadequate chlorination. You need to read the "Best Guess" page, linked in my blue signature block, to understand what "correct" chlorine levels may not actually be correct. You'll almost certainly need a Taylor K2006 test kit in order to resolve the issue. These are not available locally, since it's hard to get pool dealers to sell something that tends to partially replace them, and definitely reduces their chemical sales.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-02-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Default Re: I need some advice as to how to keep my above ground pool clean.

Regarding the small black slimy particles.
    I do not have any vegetation overhanging the pool.

Also these small black slimy particles are way too big to be caterpillar poop.
    Many of these small black slimy particles are shaped like teardrops not small spots.

That's why I asked about dirt as maybe the cause of the small black slimy particles.

Quote:
    Green slime is caused by algae . . . which results from inadequate chlorination.

I think you are right. I will study your answer regarding the green slime.

But regarding the small black slimy particles.
    I am still in the dark.
    Do you have any other thoughts about the small black slimy particles

+ Reply to Thread