+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pool with "Salt" system (and algae) HELP

roll tide is offline ** No working email address ** roll tide 0

Default New pool with "Salt" system (and algae) HELP

My 3 week old pool is green! We found out the Polaris Auto Clear system hadn't been working until yesterday. It's going now but I have algae bad! My question, are the instructions I've read on this board applicable and appropriate for 'Salt' systems, ie, muriatic acid?

Thanks. I'm disgusted and ready to put the dirt back in it.

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: New pool with "Salt" system (and algae) HELP

Welcome to the forum.

I would not give up to quickly. You have quite an investment for you think about. I felt just like you when I first started, as did most of the members here, who are prepared to help you.

If you look at the "Salt Water Chlorinator and Feeder" forum, there is a post with details as to how to operate a SWCG. It is the second or third page.

Let's do something fast. Start adding bleach to the pool so that the Chlorine is about 15 ppm. If you know the pool dimensions in gallons, you add 1 gallon of bleach to every 10,000 gallons to raise the Chlorine 1 ppm.

The following bleach calculator from one of our members wiil help you determine the bleach demand more accurately, and has other useful calculations.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~mwsmith2/BleachCalc262.exe

As soon as you can, get us a water analysis of your pool so we can give you further advice, whether from your test kit or pool store.

Information on your pool type, inground or aboveground, plaster or vinyl, filter type, sand, cartridge or DE would also be helpful.

Please remember we are here to help you, and many here have more experience than I.

Hang in there, and keep us posted.

Pat

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PatL34
    If you know the pool dimensions in gallons, you add 1 gallon of bleach to every 10,000 gallons to raise the Chlorine 1 ppm.

Pat has gotten you off to a good start, except for this point: If you add 1 gallon of 6% bleach to a 10,000 gallon pool it will raise your Cl by 6 pm. If you add 5.25%, it will go up by 5.25 ppm.

Janet

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Sorry Janet, forgot about the chlorine strength.

Pat

+ Reply to Thread