+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting from 3" pucks to bleach

Default Converting from 3" pucks to bleach

Hi all,

Due to our CYA count going through the roof, we've switched over from 3" pucks to bleach. Have my Taylor kit we've been using for over a month now, #s are looking good, can supply if needed.

My comment/question is that we are using large quantities of bleach to maintain 4ppm of FC (CYA now at 40), i.e. 3 gallons of 8.25%/day. At least to us it seems like a lot, i.e. recycling bin overflowing with bleach bottles :-)

Is this a normal amount? Using the pucks we'd go the entire summer on one big bucket, say $85. With bleach, 3gal day @ ~ $3.99 gal of 8.25%, we're way over puck usage, in terms of dollars, in less than a month's time.

Comments appreciated
    freeform IG pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Converting from 3" pucks to bleach

What is your volume? You might want to bump your CYA up higher. It will cause you to have to run higher chlorine levels but will reduce how often you have to add bleach. One of the other moderators, Aylad, lives in NW Louisiana and runs her pool with CYA at about 90 or else she has trouble keeping chlorine in her pool. (Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.)

+ Reply to Thread