+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question about unicel 4607 filter fit in summer escapes pump

Default question about unicel 4607 filter fit in summer escapes pump

This forum is a great source of information! I've already spent a number of hours reading, and have ordered the K-2006 test kit based on advice here.

At the moment, however, I have a question about the filter on our pool.

We are running a 1500 gph pump that came with our Summer Escapes pool, with the original cheapo filter cartridge. After reading here, I was ready to order the Unicel c-4607 as a better-quality replacement. However, the specs of the Unicel cartridge describe 1 15/16" top and bottom openings, whereas the current cartridge has 1 3/4" openings. I think that may be the difference between the 'C' and 'A' cartridge varieties...?

It seems to me that if the Unicel cartridge really has a 1 15/16" opening, it may not fit snugly onto the connection inside the pump housing, allowing water to bypass the filter. Does anyone know for sure that this Unicel cartridge actually works on the 1 3/4" fittings?

I've looked at the Unicel replacement guide, and they mention a c-4306 filter with a 1 3/4" opening (it is further described as a replacement for a General Foam Plastics filter; and I think GenFoam used to be associated with the Summer Escapes pools ?).

All the posts I've read here describe the c-4607 as a replacement for both Intex and Summer Escapes cartridges, but I just have trouble imagining how something with a 1 15/16" opening will fit snugly enough in the pump housing we have.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: question about unicel 4607 filter fit in summer escapes pump

The short answer is, "I don't know for certain".

If the seal is at the cartridge bottom, it shouldn't matter, But if the cartridge seals at the opening, it will matter. My Unicel book does not list Summer Escapes. The only advice I can offer is, call Unicel, and ask: 818-678-0400.

If you get a definite answer, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    If the seal is at the cartridge bottom, it shouldn't matter, But if the cartridge seals at the opening, it will matter. ...

Well, that makes sense. I'll see if I can find out anything further.

Reading reviews at the Walmart website (of the A/C filters they sell there -- not Unicel brand), one sees quite a few complaints from people who say that the filter opening is the right size for Summer Escapes pumps, but too small for Intex -- a lot of those Intex owners ended up trimming material to enlarge the opening. That certainly made me wonder if the Unicel 4607 filters, which apparently have the larger opening to begin with, would be too loose in our pump.

I'll try calling Unicel, and/or just buying one of the Unicel filters to see how it works. If I find out anything definite, I'll update.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's possible that the large opening will fit both pools, but that the small opening will fit only Intex. However, you do not want a cartridge that bypasses pool water around the cartridge.

Please do let me know what you find out.

Hello again.

I don't yet have new information to offer on this thread, as to whether Unicel filter makes a good seal in Summer Escapes pump...

I tried to start another thread with my new question (below), but the forum wouldn't let me do that, even though I tried to start the new thread in the 'Getting Started' area -- not sure what I did wrong... ?

Anyway, different, albeit related, filter question:

Reading in another thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ump-and-filter), I saw the following comment by user mas985 --
    "Cartridge Filters: Most energy efficient and don't require backwashing. Best suited for areas with water restriction, high electrical rates and/or pools that use a SWG. But make sure it sized for at least 1 sq-ft for every 100 gallons of water."

We currently have a 1000 gallon Summer Escapes pool set up (10' x 30" size). We recently purchased a larger Summer Escapes pool (18' x 48", ~6000 gallons), but haven't set it up yet (we have to level a lot more ground first). Out of curiosity, we hooked up the pump (1500 gph) from the new pool to our existing pool, in hopes that filtration would be better. I can't really see much improvement, if any.

Looking at filter specs for the 1500 gph pump, the cartridges are described as 5 sq. ft. in area. If the above quote is accurate, filter area for our existing 1000 gallon pool should really be 10 sq. ft., and for the future 6000 gallon pool, filter area should be 60 sq. ft. That would mean the 6000 gallon pool is being sold with a filter that is about an order of magnitude too small... From reading about Intex pools on the forum here, I realize the Intex-type pools are sold with inadequate filtration capacity, but hadn't realized it might be quite this dismal.

Can anyone comment on these numbers -- is it true that we should ideally have closer to 60 sq. ft. of filter area to keep 6000 gallons of water clean?

Murky water is a problem we've had repeatedly during the several summers we've run the smaller pool; so I'm worried the problem may get worse with the ratios in the new larger pool (6 times as much water, and only about twice the filter area). We've been using the original crummy filters with the 1000 gallon pool all along; I sure hope switching to the Unicel or Filbur filters will help compensate for inadequate filter size...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the 1 sq. ft. per 100 gallons number... does that properly refer to the pump throughput rate (i.e. 1500 gph in our case), rather than to the pool volume?

That would still mean that a 5 sq. ft. filter is undersized for a 1500 gph pump, but it isn't quite as bad as comparing it to the 6000 gallon pool volume (only too small by a factor of 3, not a factor of 10+).
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-31-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: merge sequential posts

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm going to let someone else help you with your question.

But, just to let you know ..... once your membership has been upgraded (like yours has), you can no longer access that 'Getting Started' section of the forum. That section is just for people who have just registered and are waiting for it to be reviewed and approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    ..... once your membership has been upgraded (like yours has), you can no longer access that 'Getting Started' section of the forum. That section is just for people who have just registered and are waiting for it to be reviewed and approved.
    Thanks -- I do see the 'Post New Thread' option now in this sub-forum.

I've been checking on this, and bought some Summer Escapes cartridges myself, so I could measure them. It turns out the C-4306 filter is the designated Unicel replacement for the Summer Escapes "A" & "C" cartridges. It is NOT as high quality a cartridge as the C-4607 Intex "C". The 4607 *may* work, but I don't know.

Regarding sizing -- Intex-type pool equipment is undersized in most respects. That's one reason it's so hard to clean them up, after an algae episode.

But, it's a fair trade-off. The original US-made softside pools were very expensive. When you consider that, 8 years ago you might have paid $2,500 for a US made 18' round pool, with the same *functional* utility as this one -- $899 @ Amazon:
    Intex 54925EG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 18-Feet by 52-Inch, Gray
    And, when you consider that THIS pool -- $349@ Walmart.com:
    Summer Escapes Round 18' x 42" Metal-Walled Swimming Pool
    is currently on summer clearance for $199@ my local Sams Club, you're definitely getting a deal, even when you consider that probably 10% of Summer Escapes pools have some severe warranty issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    I've been checking on this, and bought some Summer Escapes cartridges myself, so I could measure them. It turns out the C-4306 filter is the designated Unicel replacement for the Summer Escapes "A" & "C" cartridges. It is NOT as high quality a cartridge as the C-4607 Intex "C". The 4607 *may* work, but I don't know.
    From the Unicel replacement guide, it does seem that the 4306 matches the dimensions of the Summer Escapes cartridge, but it is made of a lighter (3 oz.) material, as opposed to the material for the 4607 (4 oz.). I'll probably get one of each and see how they work.

Regarding sizing -- Intex-type pool equipment is undersized in most respects. That's one reason it's so hard to clean them up, after an algae episode.

But, it's a fair trade-off. The original US-made softside pools were very expensive. When you consider that, 8 years ago you might have paid $2,500 for a US made 18' round pool, with the same *functional* utility as this one -- $899 @ Amazon:
    Intex 54925EG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 18-Feet by 52-Inch, Gray
    And, when you consider that THIS pool -- $349@ Walmart.com:
    Summer Escapes Round 18' x 42" Metal-Walled Swimming Pool
    is currently on summer clearance for $199@ my local Sams Club, you're definitely getting a deal, even when you consider that probably 10% of Summer Escapes pools have some severe warranty issues.
    Yes, it's that low price that gets new potential pool owners interested -- we would never have spent $2500 on a backyard pool, but now that we've had a 1000 gallon donut pool (original cost < $100) for several summers, we've realized how much fun this is for the kids. Spending another $200 on a larger pool (as we just did) was a pretty easy decision. As long as the pool itself doesn't have major leakage problems (crossing my fingers), we can deal with any other necessary equipment repairs/upgrades, and still consider it a good deal. Even the challenge of pool maintenance is sort of fun, especially after finding the strikingly sensible information on this forum re pool chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    I'll probably get one of each and see how they work.
    Please let me know, what you find.

BTW, getting 2 - 3 summers from a doughnut pool is apparently pretty exceptional. Apparently, between bird claws and beaks, cat claws, and squirrels, they often get 'pin-holed' to death.
    Last edited by Watermom; 08-10-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: make quoted text appear correctly

+ Reply to Thread