+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vapour liner/plastic/foam before sand cove

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Vapour liner/plastic/foam before sand cove

I notices Matt4x4 has indicated he used 2' of something about 1' up under before the sand coving. What type of plastic was used? Just regular plastic sheeting or is it specific kind or mil of thickness? Has anyone put any type of foam on the walls before installing the vapour sheeting? If so, would that help keep the water temp steady? or is it a waste?

Our pool is set to be delivered on April 10. We won't be able to set it up until May sometime due to WINTER just hanging around forever, but I thought I would get everything lined up and ready to go. We farm so have our own dozer and can level the spot well, we have our own gravel pit for sand, but think I may just check on ordering sand that is already sifted/filtered out of rocks. 4-5 yards for 18x33 is what I was told. Just want the best bottom, side prep I can get before putting in the liner (J-hook)

THANK you for any and all advice, help and assistance. New to a PERM pool (thank GOD, no more setting up, taking down every year!!!)

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Info...

6 Mil Vapour barrier - used in house construction - over inside of stud wall.
    I cut it into 2' wide strips and let it hang half onto th floor, built the cove on it and covered it with sand and placed the liner on that - it will never wash out.
    You can put the foam on the wall or on the floor too, but most i've talked to say it's a dealer scam - pretty expensive for what it is and will 1/8" really give you any insulation value?
    Some say it makes the floor ultra smooth, Mine's ultra smooth just with sand - it all depends on the care taken during install.
    if you got the money and really want to part with it, go ahead, but it's definitely not necessary - besides, the money it costs for happy wall liner, happy cove and happy bottom will buy you your innitial solar heat panels or a ton of pooltoys for the kids - money well spent.

Default Just as I thought

I'll pass on all that foam stuff. Sand is plentiful and cheap enough. We are lazy, but not stupid and I like to spend the $ on stuff that will really matter. Just doing the floor with that Happy Bottom would cost me over $500.

I would assume the local building center should have the vapour liner material so we will stock up on that and be ready to go whenever winter finally goes away here!

Thanks!!

Default you got it!

Yes, the local building center should stock it, it's clear.
    I will hopefully write my longwinded article on AG pool building again soon (it died with the old forum), then Ben can edit it and pin it at the top for all to reference!

Default I printed it out!!!

Before the old forum crashed out, I printed your instructions so I have them in my big bag of pool info!!! yay! We will be using that. Thanks, what a great help you all are here.

csevel is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst csevel 0

Red face

Can I get a copy emailed to me?? I would appreciate it immensely..

I would be grateful for a dose of that info.

Can you email it? My email is: veterinarytechnician@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Rhonda

Default pool building info...

I would guess that she only has the info in hard copy judging from her post above, myself, I wrote it online as a post and didn't really need it since I was writing it from experience and had allready built my pool, so I have no copy of it.
    I will hopefully be sitting on my new deck in about 1.5 months at which point I will rewrite it and post it on the forum, until then, unfortunately, I'm going to be too busy with all my spring work and deck building.
    Maybe scanning that hard copy in could be a possibility.......

+ Reply to Thread