+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what is the ideal range for alkalinity?

Default what is the ideal range for alkalinity?

I just finished filling my 16x48 Intex pool and checked the pH and alkalinity. The pH was at 8.2 yesterday but I lowered it down to about 7.5 using muriatic acid. I checked the alkalinity and it is at 60ppm. Is it ok to leave it at that level? I tested for alkalinity using the HTH 6 way test kit from Walmart. On the instructions of the test kit it says that the ideal range is 60-120ppm but I have seen some videos on youtube and some people say the ideal range is 80-120ppm.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: what is the ideal range for alkalinity?

With an Intex pool, 60 ppm is fine, as long as you aren't having trouble with your pH wandering around constantly.

It's more critical on concrete pools, or pools with gas or electric heaters -- but that doesn't apply to you.

Two of the fundamental rules we follow, for ideal pool care are:

(1) It's a pool, not a set of numbers.
    (2) Don't fix what's not broken.

Lots of people spend lots of money and effort chasing test numbers. For obvious reasons, pool chemical companies encourage this. Most pool dealers go along, either to sell more chemicals, or simply because they are ignorant.

In a pool like yours, chlorine, pH and stabilizer levels are critical. Other levels probably aren't, unless there's something wrong with your fill water.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: what is the ideal range for alkalinity?

By the way, you may want to take a look at our "Super Simple" recipe for Intex pools. If you filled your pool some time ago, it may not apply directly, but it will still have a lot of information relevant to your situation.

+ Reply to Thread