+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can I replace fitting in the wall of my pool for the pool cleaner

Smile How can I replace fitting in the wall of my pool for the pool cleaner

Without getting into what I think of the contactor that refinished my pool I have ended up with a leak at or in the preasure side fitment for the pool sweep. The contract or "fix" it once and I am fully expecting to find duck tape on the pipe.
    The fitment is under 4ft of agregate decking and with the booster pump running I can see water squirting out at or near the wall of the pool. I dont want to go through the decking and hoped that I could drill out the old fitment from the pool wall and replace it and the associated pipes.

I have contacted some local pool companies. And it seems they have so much work they cant even be bothered to follow up. One company that has promised to come out seems to have a terrible communication issue as I have heard so many reasons why they did not come, did not call etc etc etc that I have to start looking else where or do in myself.

Any guidence on how to replace this pipe and fitment in the wall would be welcome.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: How can I replace fitting in the wall of my pool fir the pool cleaner

Pictures?

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're describing. Post them with Google Drive, Webshots, Flickr or whatever OR email them to poolforum@gmail.com

Default Re: How can I replace fitting in the wall of my pool for the pool cleaner

PoolDoc,
    I have sent you a couple of pictures via e-mail.
    Derek

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-22-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add pix

Marin is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Marin 2 stars Marin 2 stars

Default Re: How can I replace fitting in the wall of my pool for the pool cleaner

Ben, can you post the pictures Derek sent? I have several questions that I imagine those will answer.

First off, as you've found out, good luck getting a pool company to come look at a leak this time of year. Leaks are one of those high cost/low profit aspects. This time of year, forget about it.

Do you see water spraying into the pool, or out of the pool?

Depending on a few things, you may be able to dig out under the deck to reach the lines for repair.

Just need to see some pictures and I can help more.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

added pix

PoolDOc,

Thanks for the help.

The Pool side is good. No spray from that fitment.
    However, I can visually see water spraying under the decking. It appears to be coming from the edge of the shell or in the wall of the pool.
    With the booster pump on I loose 1 inch in a hour. With the booster pump off I still loose an inch a day.

I have been told I have two main options. Go through the decking or drill the wall. As this is the most visible part of the decking I would say that going through the decking must be the backup plan.
    So if going through the wall is the only choice how can I drill out the fitment from the pool sidel? What will I encounter and how do I repair it so that it will last.

I can understand that pool companies are busy but from the range of verbal estimates of $900 to $1200 I dont see this as a low profit repair. With the right tools I would WAG this would take no more than 4 hours.

I will dig under the decking tonight and take more pictures.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DerekGJenkins View Post
    I can understand that pool companies are busy but from the range of verbal estimates of $900 to $1200 I dont see this as a low profit repair. With the right tools I would WAG this would take no more than 4 hours.
    The problem is, you are never sure how long repairs done down in holes will take, till it's done. Things go wrong.

Undoubtedly, the contractors are hoping to get it all done in 3 hours (plus an hour of travel and tool collection), but want to make sure that if it takes 8 hours, they don't take a bath. (They are pretty sure that, if you accept the $1200 quote, and it takes 8 hours, because of some issue not yet visible, that you won't be all eager to up the payment.)

vinper is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst vinper 0

I wouldnt be running that booster pump it will wash out base material, is it close enough to pool to get one of those cameras on a flex stick , they sell for about 80.00 . insert into pipe or drill hole in deck .

vinper is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst vinper 0

Marin is offline In the pool biz Thread Analyst Marin 2 stars Marin 2 stars

I'd leave the deck alone and go under it, as you've started doing. Hopefully the leak isn't too close to the gunite where you're chipping it back to make a coupler work. This one actually looks fairly easy.

As for the cost aspect, the only reason I even deal with fixing leaks is that I view it as an opportunity to earn future business. In itself it's really not worth the hassle. I can't just send one of my low skilled guys out. With leaks you need some experience to notice things not so obvious. So right off the bat I've effectively shut down one of my crews because I have a lead or foreman looking for a leak. Since I want to minimize his time dealing with it, I send a helper. Usually pays off but not always.

Your leak looks simple, but things happen. If the pipe is fragile enough for one leak, whats to say we don't cause another getting everything snugged back up? I also have to account for future aggravation. There seems to be a mindset amongst homeowners that whoever was the last to touch it, did it.

If another leak springs next season a few feet down the pipe, guess who's going to get blamed?

I'll usually bid one anywhere from $700-1500, depending on location and deck. I generally treat it as a "not to exceed" bid and charge the customer less based on what we actually encountered.

If you're comfortable making the fix yourself, I'd say it's an easy way to save a grand. The parts are cheap. If you want to do it, I'd be happy to help. I'll just ask for a couple more pictures, preferably one of the leak itself.

+ Reply to Thread