+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing a shaft seal

Default Replacing a shaft seal

My pump has developed a very small leak. It appears to be coming from the shaft seal. I was able to disassemble the unit to the point where I need to remove the impeller from th shaft. Can someone describe the process or the tool(s) required to do this. I was thinking about a gear puller but thought I would ask here first.

Filter is a Sta rite system 3PLM 100 with a 1 hp A.O. Smith pump model # s 48b74ao3 . It is a side discharge if that matters

Thanks

Mark

Default Re: Replacing a shaft seal

I ran in to the same thing. I changed that first O ring but it still leaked. When I bought the outer O ring they told me you needed special tools to get the impeller off without damaging it to get at the back shaft O ring. I couldn't figure out how to get it off myself so I let them change it. It was like $6.50 for the shaft O ring and $35 for 1 hour of labor, but it doesn't leak anymore.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it might help.

Actually that is not to bad my concern is when they can even get to it. I left a message with a clerk and have not heard back yet

Assuming you have a threaded shaft in your motor you'll need to take the rear plate off the motor to expose the rear of the shaft and use a screwdriver to hold the shaft as you turn the impeller counterclockwise until it comes off. If you have no rear plate, I've heard there may be a plate in the middle of the motor casing that exposes the shaft and that you will need a 7/16 open-end wrench to hold the shaft. Please disregard if the assumption of a threaded shaft is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

beautye350

I brought it to a local pool store, yes it is a threaded shaft, but with no access to the shaft except form behind the impeller. The tech guy there didn't want to force it because he had no replacement impeller in stock (smart move I thought!) Athough after reading your post I will reinspect for that mid plate somewhere.

Thanks a bunch

Mark

+ Reply to Thread