+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chlorine or SWCG for above ground pool?

Default Chlorine or SWCG for above ground pool?

We are currently looking at buying an above ground pool. We would love to do inground, but the cost is what's stopping us. That being said, what is better - regular old fashioned chlorine or salt water? What are the pros and cons of each?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Chlorine or SWCG for above ground pool?

You've been scammed by the typical marketing for SWCGs -- Salt Water Chlorine Generators. A SWCG is just a *method* for adding chlorine to your pool, not an alternative to chlorine.

Several things to consider:
    1. SWCG use voids the warranty on most metal wall AG pools.
    2. SWCG's are very convenient, but are NOT cheaper than hand feeding chlorine, assuming you use the BBB method consistently.
    3. Even with an SWCG, you will need to manually maintain chlorine levels during start-up, and during any sort of problem with algae, etc.

For pool owners who are away from home frequently, an SWCG can be a lifesaver. In most other situations, they may be nice to have, but definitely not essential.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    You've been scammed by the typical marketing for SWCGs -- Salt Water Chlorine Generators. A SWCG is just a *method* for adding chlorine to your pool, not an alternative to chlorine.

Several things to consider:
    1. SWCG use voids the warranty on most metal wall AG pools.
    2. SWCG's are very convenient, but are NOT cheaper than hand feeding chlorine, assuming you use the BBB method consistently.
    3. Even with an SWCG, you will need to manually maintain chlorine levels during start-up, and during any sort of problem with algae, etc.

For pool owners who are away from home frequently, an SWCG can be a lifesaver. In most other situations, they may be nice to have, but definitely not essential.
    Recently when my pump died, I had to manually chlorinate the pool for a week. I can tell you I really missed the convenience of the SWCG that week!
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

They can be convenient, without a doubt. But they get people in trouble, because they are sold as if you can turn them on and then forget about your pool's chemistry forever.

So does a SWCG take away the chlorine smell and red eyes? If so - that's the route I'm going! LOL!

Seriously - I understand about the chemistry and keeping it properly balanced. I'm just trying to find out what is the better route to go. I havent bought a pool yet and I am in the research stage. Right now I am leaning towards a resin pool, but I dont know whether to go steel or aluminum wall. Working 12 hour shifts with lots of down time can play hell on your mind when searching for info. There's just too many opinions out there!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

A SWCG pool IS a chlorine pool so it shouldn't make a difference. Actually, you should not smell chlorine nor get red eyes from a properly maintained pool.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter75 View Post
    So does a SWCG take away the chlorine smell and red eyes? If so - that's the route I'm going! LOL!
    Consistency in chlorination takes away "chlorine smell and red eyes". SWCGs make it easier for most people to be consistent.

Thanks - now I have a better understanding. There's just SO much information to take in...

Yeah, it's a lot at the start.

+ Reply to Thread