+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pool-O-Morphosis

Default Re: Pool-O-Morphosis

I'm torn about what to do with that channel. I presume it was originally put there so that you didn't have to run a grass edger against the cool deck, as a way of preserving the cool deck.

I want it to drain, but I also don't want to worry about the Bermuda grass (and seed) being in there and causing trouble. Something that packs tight enough that it won't end up in the pool. So I thought maybe decomposed granite fill with a thin flat stone top, where the stones are 4-10 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. I could lay them in like a puzzle I guess.

I was referring to the area between the deck and the "curb" as the "channel". The curb would not only control the grass, but keep the fill material in place, and as you say, keep the grass and rock from mixing.

I'm not sure what "decomposted granite fill" is exactly. If it has "fines" in it, it will probably pack pretty hard and tight and water would not easily go through it. This would be true even if you do not initially pack it so tight. It will compact on it's own over time. It also depends on your underlying soil. I'm in Florida, so it's sand. If I pour a 5 gallon bucket of water anywhere, it's gone in an instant. If your soil drains pretty quickly, a gravel/granite product without fines would pack fairly tight (if it has sharp/irregular edges) and still let the water through, though not as much water as a round material like pea gravel or a small river rock. It would be nice if you could get a small amount and try it in an area. What you put on top of it is irrelevant, except for looking nice. It's how the thing is going to drain when your done.

If the grass can take the water, because your soil drains fast and doesn't make a bunch of mud, a tightly packed, almost impervious material would be OK, it'll just shuttle a majority of the water to the grass.

You may get heavy rains where you are. The "drain" may be to keep the runoff from the deck from getting directly to the grass and really making it wet and muddy with even slight traffic. I suppose this would be worse with slow draining soil that is loamy (makes mud easily).
    In-ground gunite 16 x 30 13,000 gal. Full screen enclosure. 120 sq ft. Filter cartridge, 1-1/2 HP pump. Master Pools In-floor cleaner. Taylor K-2006.

I don't think it was put there to control runoff, though I don't see any way to judge the motives of the builders. I'd like it to remain porous. Since the grass is heavy Bermuda there's not much worry about the grass getting sloppy when wet (he said during a long dry spell). Decomposed granite (DG around here) compacts tightly and has some rigidity. I'm torn. I think I may actually seek the advice of a professional in this case. I guess there were some good points to having the volcanic rock in there, but when I cut the grass and edge I want something that doesn't hang on to the grass debris. I'll update here when something happens.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Nice thread.

The Walmart HTH 6-way is a good kit -- it's actually a Taylor made subset of the K2005 + K1000. The included OTO (from the K1000) is not super accurate, but will give valid chlorine readings all the way to 50+ ppm, instead of bleaching out, like the DPD tablets in the K2005.

No idea on deck treatment -- 'best' depends on what's locally available, and N. Calif is a lo-o-ng way from where I am in Chattanooga.

I hope you'll post results next spring, when you get to the next stage of things.

Archived

Curious how the pool is doing. Please post an update!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

3 years later....

I ran the pool for about two years and over time the horrible plaster stains subsided, though never fully went away. I later realized that most of those blackish stains were from black algae, which I fought with for two years.

I never filled in the "channel" around the pool because of the logistics of wanting to install sprinklers in there before I'm through.

This last week I had the pool professionally re-tiled and re-plastered. It's about 12" from being full now. Too bad all of my old pictures don't show up on any of the threads.

As it's filling, here's the water right now...

PH: >8
    TA: 80
    CH: 80
    CL and CYA are of course zero at the moment.

Great to hear from you! Got any new photos? So exciting to have a fresh start :-)
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread