+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green, Cloudy Water after 3 days of rain!

Default Green, Cloudy Water after 3 days of rain!

10'x36" Entex Pool. PH >9, FC 4, TA 160, CYA 60 after adding 5 oz bleach, 8 oz borax. Added 5 oz bleach, and PH decreaser. There is a green swirl when I brushed the bottom of the pool. It's been two hours and it looks as bad as ever. What do I do now? Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Green, Cloudy Water after 3 days of rain!

Added borax and then pH reducer? First you raised it and then you lowered it?

What kind of test kit are you using?

Please read the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below for the shock level you need to kill the algae.

Thanks for responding. My PH was very high after adding the borax, but the water was still green so I checked it again and my PH was very high so I added the PH decreaser according to the Pool Calculator. I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. I am using a test kit from the grocery store and Taylor CYA test which has been working fine for a month until we had this rain event. I have a Taylor Test Kit on order. I have added bleach according to your Best Guess Chart and my FC level is at 9-10. How long do I need to keep it at that level? Do I run the filter constantly? Do I brush the pool at regular intervals?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

When you test your pH while your chlorine is high, you often get falsely high readings. You can take half pool water and half distilled water and run the pH test on that and see what you get.

Yes to keeping the chlorine high until the pool clears. Also, yes to brushing the pool and running the pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear it.

By the way, rain doesn't cause algae but people not checking to keep the pool properly chlorinated while it is raining does!
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-17-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Argh! LOL! Thanks so much for the help. And I will be more vigilant...even in the rain

Also, 10 fc is only shock level if you have 10ppm or less cya... And from what I understand, if you have 10ppm cya you won't know it because the test is unreliable under 30ppm cya... But even if your cya is 10 or less, your fc really should be at 15ppm, the +shock+ level. That is the chlorine level you maintain when fighting something in the water... Correct me if I'm wrong here, poolforum mods.
    Basically your chlorine is still too low and you might need to study the best guess chart in a little more detail.
    -Eric B. 16x32 rect 14,364 gal AG (Intex Ultra Frame); 14 in sand filter; 1 HP 2800 GPH pump; 8 hrs; Taylor K-2006c, utility water, debris cover
    @Best Guess chart http://pool9.net/cl-cya @K2006 http://pool9.net/testkits

+ Reply to Thread