+ Reply to Thread

Thread: noisy pump

Default noisy pump

I have 24ft ag with Pentair Dynamo pump. When I turned it on yesterday, it was very noisy. I had the bearings on the motor replaced 3 years ago, but the company is no longer in business.

So I feel it's time for a new pump. Replacing with the same pentair dynamo is $275 online. But my local pool store recommends hayward power flo lx for $215 (I can find for $190 on line, so I have to decide to support local guy or save $25).

So does the name matter? Are all pumps the same?

I like the pentair strainer basket lid. I usually need to stick a big screwdriver in the handle to open it. I see the power flo also has a handle so that works for me. Other than that, I don't see much difference in pumps. More HP, more $$$ but no one ever says what the GPM is.

Any suggestions?
    24' round 12K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; hayward sand filter; pump; 24hrs; taylog k2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl no water bags; ; PF:10

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: noisy pump

I will let someone else chime in who knows more about particulars between the various brands. But just wondered what size sand filter you have and what size pump you are planning to buy. AG pools are notorious for having a too big pump paired with a too small filter. A too powerful pump forces debris through the filter media without filtering it out very well.

that is a very good question. The valve on top of the filter says hayward 711-13 and 60gpm but I really don't know how to determine the size of the filter . It is probably about 20 years old, we have had it for about 10 years. And the pool is partially under trees, so every day there is some 'stuff' on the bottom. So maybe the current pump is too much for the filter. I really didn't want to buy a new pump and filter. If I could find someone to put new bearings in, I would do that.

Pumps are only sold by horsepower, it is very difficult to find GPM flow. By digging around the hayward website, the lx has 86 gpm at 10 feet of head. I am assuming head is the distance from skimmer to pump, and I only have a 4 ft hose.
    24' round 12K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; hayward sand filter; pump; 24hrs; taylog k2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl no water bags; ; PF:10

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The head loss in plumbing is not only determined by the length of pipe but also the pipe diameter, the number/types/size of fittings and the filter type/size. So it isn't just related to the pipe length. You don't say what size (HP) the LX is but all of them would probably produce less than 60 GPM so you are probably ok with that although you might go with the smallest one you can find (1575) to save energy.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I went with the one the pool store had in stock and installed it last night. Nice and quiet. I will check the model number since you mentioned it.

It seems a little smaller and cheaper than the pentair dynamo, but so are most things today compared to 10 years ago.

I also bought more stabilizer. Mine is 30ppm or less and I need to put in about 1 bottle (3qt) of bleach a day. I will try to get it up to 50 or 60 and see how it goes.

I wonder if anyone can use a 10 year old pump with a motor with bad bearings....

thanks.
    ---Dale

If you were near by, I'd take that pump off your hands and throw new bearings on it and maybe make a coupla bucks, but, I can't see it worth the cost of shipping. My "new" pump is the Pac Fab Challengerm 1 hp, 2 speed. I believe it is the same as your old one. I agree that the quality of it seems above most of the haywards and other brands.

+ Reply to Thread