+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using HydroPureTech cartridges to deal with Iron

Default Re: Had to Partially Fill From Well w/Iron

I have a very hard well with super high iron content. I found the metaltrap 6 at http://hydropuretechnologies.com/ that removes just about all the iron from your water right from the hose. i just buy a new cartridge every season and the well water is no longer an issue for me except for the calcium hardness. this thing is great for make up water and topping off the pool when you opn in the spring.
    9.8k gal 21' x 52" AG vinyl, well water combated by the metaltrap6 filtering system, 100 lb sand filter w 1/2 hp pump, bbb method and patience!!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Jeff, I copied your post to a separate thread, so your filter cartridges could be discussed separately. How many seasons have you used these?

=============================

I couldn't find as much as I'd like about them, and what I did find was a bit dodgy. So, color me skeptical.

Here's what I did find:

+ Domain record for hydropuretechnologies.com shows the domain is owned/controlled by
    HydroPure Technologies.com
    Rachel Ansari
    3811 University Blvd W, Suite 21
    Jacksonville, Florida 32217
    Phone: +1.9047306726
    Email: admin@hydropuretechnologies.com
    Last modified: 2012-10-16 14:59:45 GMT
    and
    HydroPure Technologies.com
    Gregory Childress
    1562 Holly Oaks Lake Rd E
    Jacksonville, Florida 32225
    Phone: +1.9046425302
    + On the website, the claim is made that the biz is BBB accredited, but the BBB site says it is NOT:

http://www.hydropuretechnologies.com...-System-6.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bbb.org/north-east-florid...mpid=194824828

--------------------------------------------------------------------

+ The home water treatment business has, for years, been pretty dodgy, with many bogus or even outright dishonest claims made. There's nothing on the Hydro Pure site that makes me think they are bogus -- but there's also nothing that makes me think they are not. They do not describe ANY mode of operation, any PPM removed or ANY technical data at all on the MetalTrap cartridge performance. That does not reassure me.

i am currently topping off my pool now. this is the second season using the metaltrap 6 and now the bbb method as well no more high priced chemicals or flocculants ect!! my neighbor who has been using one for five years or so in his pool and in his rv is who recommend it to me and i am grateful for the recommendation. i read some of the posts on the forum regarding well water issues and so many of those issues can be avoided simply by a good iron filter. i have tried multiple filters from the local home improvement stores with no success. my pool is solar heated and the water evaporates quickly over night along with three kids using the pool daily so i need to add makeup water once or twice a week. water discoloration and staining is no longer an issue. the well water blues are over except for the calcium hardness issue that i cant due anything about anyway. as far as bbb accreditation goes i was a little concerned at first because of the $100+ investment, however based on the personal recommendation from my neighbor i overlooked any reviews positive or negative and just made the purchace and now im a repeat customer, word of mouth goes a long way with me. i don't work for them or solicit in any way i just thought i would share a darn good product that actually works and saves me money and aggravation with a well water pool.
    9.8k gal 21' x 52" AG vinyl, well water combated by the metaltrap6 filtering system, 100 lb sand filter w 1/2 hp pump, bbb method and patience!!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by jeffstang View Post
    i am currently topping off my pool now. this is the second season using the metaltrap 6
    my neighbor who has been using one for five years or so in his pool and in his rv is who recommend it to me and i am grateful.
    It it works for you . . . it works for you. I'm glad it does.

But, you have to understand that, with over 25 years in the pool business, I've seen product after product be promoted as the greatest thing since sliced bread. For the first 10 years or so that I was in the biz, I ran out and tried almost everything I heard about . . . and then I watched almost all of them -- way more than 90% -- turn out to be duds. And some of those that do work, don't work well enough to make it worth using them.

So, I'm skeptical.

For example, we started tentatively recommending the CuLator product last year. It does appear to work . . . but only very slowly. I still think it may be worth using, but only as a long-term maintenance aid. It doesn't really help clean up a current mess, though it appears to help prevent a recurrence.

The Metal6 product may be as good as you say. But the website hit a number of warning triggers I've learned to recognize. It doesn't mean they are bad, but it does mean that prudence dictates even more caution than normal.

I'm not trying to prevent anyone from trying it. But we won't recommend it this year. Next year (2014), if we hear positive things from you and a few others, we may change. But for now, we're going to recommend caution.

Default Re: Using HydroPureTech cartridges to deal with Iron

PoolDoc i understand where you are coming from. you probably deal with people trying to promote their business and their products on this site all the time. im not affiliated with this company in any way. if you recommend caution that's your duty as a moderator and its your reputation thats at risk. i understand. however, sometime you get so frustrated with the same problems over and over and several suggestions that don't work that you have to take a chance and just try things. i just took the $125 chance on a recommendation and it has saved me so much money and aggravation i just thought i would share it with other people who are dealing with the problems i no longer have.

Like I said, we're very open to the possibility of new products that do work . . . so I really do hope you follow up next season with a positive report.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Like I said, we're very open to the possibility of new products that do work . . . so I really do hope you follow up next season with a positive report.
    Has anyone tried this since last season? Any follow up from anyone or OP? I am on well water and am looking for options to be able to use it to filter my top off water.

Background: My water has been tested 7-8 times from different water people since I moved into my new house this past Oct. with varying results of having traces amounts of iron or having none. I have an old softener (~20 yrs) that seemed to be working but I was in the market for a new one. I can attribute some of these varying results to a old hot water heater, and some iron fittings being used on my system. I have since replace the hot water heater with a new one, which has no effect on my pool fill up, and removed all (except for a couple of special fittings an check valve) of the metal plumbing between my well and softener and replace with PVC.

I have not yet performed a bucket test or had my water retested since the PVC replacement so that's something I need to take care of soon. I just got my K-2000 kit in the mail a few days ago. I'm just doing some homework and saw this post. If in fact I do still have some trace amounts of iron, I would like to filter them out before going into my pool. Currently I have orange/brown steps which I am working out a plan to fix today, hopefully to a minimal degree before a BBQ party tomorrow. I was able to remove most of it previously with HTH metal remover so I know that there is some iron in my pool, probably from the previous owner's top offs.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

Do you have a skimmer?

If you do, there's a way to use cal hypo tablets in conjunction with a sand filter to continuously remove iron and other metals.

Yes I do. I have been doing more reading and see suggestions to use both Cal Hypo or Tri-Chlor.

I am leaning towards using the Tri-Chlor because my CYA is low and needs replenished. I also have CYA I can add on its own so I'm not sure which way will be the best.

I need to retest my numbers when I get home, I did not get a chance to this morning before heading off to work. what are the upside/down side to using Cal-Hypo vs. Tri-Chlor assuming I need to add CYA anyway?
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

For dealing with iron, cal hypo is much better. The only downside to cal hypo is that you MUST use it the way I instruct you to do, or your will end up with calcium that is too high. Well, I guess the fact that you may not need as much as you'll have to buy is a downside. It will keep till next year, but will be 'stinky' when you open it next spring

This is the ONLY product I've found that you'd want to use:
    CCH Calcium Hypochlorite Tablets 50 lb bucket

The Arch cal hypo tablets contain 25% or more magnesium sulfate, and you don't want that in your pool.

+ Reply to Thread