+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Following "Super-simple" guide but have algae

Default Following "Super-simple" guide but have algae

Hi,

I've been following the "Super-simple" guide all summer for our pool (7000 gallon intex pool with a sand filter) and it's been working great, but we just got some algae a day or two ago. I vacuumed the pool, cleaned out the filter, and added an extra dose of clorox yesterday morning and shocked it with four doses last night. Today the pool water is cloudy and tinted a little green.

My CYA is ~40, and I keep the chlorine level at ~5 and pH at ~7.5. (I didn't get a chance to take a chlorine reading this morning, tho).

Do I need to shock it again? Add more clorox?

Thanks for your help!
    18' round 7K gal Intex AG pool; tabs, hand fed granual; Game Sandpro 50 sand filter; Game Sandpro 50 pump (1/2 hp) pump; 24hrs; Taylor K2006; utility water; iPhone; PF:17

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Following "Super-simple" guide but have algae

Since you've got a K2006, go ahead and use bleach to take the chlorine to 10 - 15 ppm. A single gallon of 8.25% bleach should get you there.

Thanks! I brought the chlorine up to ~12ppm this morning and this evening the pH is up around 8.0 (from 7.5). Is that normal?

I think the pool was looking better, but it's night now and I can't tell. Chlorine is down to around 8ppm--I'll bring it back up to 12-15 for the overnight.
    18' round 7K gal Intex AG pool; tabs, hand fed granual; Game Sandpro 50 sand filter; Game Sandpro 50 pump (1/2 hp) pump; 24hrs; Taylor K2006; utility water; iPhone; PF:17

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Yes, the pH rises when you add chlorine bleach or chlorinating liquid, but it will drop back down when the chlorine gets used/consumed. Maintain the higher chlorine level until the pool clears.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread