+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool chemistry

Default pool chemistry

i'm new here, hope i'm doing this right......I have questions about pool chemistry what they should be and what to do if they are out of range.

our pool is 10,000 gal 10x20 saltwater splash pool, it was finished being installed in Oct 2012. the pump is Pentair variable speed, intellichlor salt generator and the filter is astral viron cartridge filter.

we have a calcium problem. it has kind of made the plaster rough and white. at least twice a week i'm scrubbing the rock around the waterfall to try to keep the buildup off of it and really the tile line too, tho it seems much worse at the waterfall.

I use a aqua check tru-test digital test strip reader, here are the readings from today....
    chlorine 10
    ph 7.9
    alk 108

we do have a pool guy, i'm just not sure that he is doing what the pool needs?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: pool chemistry

We really don't trust any strips or strip readers. A Taylor K-2006 (or K-2006C) will give you the freedom to control your pool.

I'm going to guess that the pool's Calcium Hardness is a bit high and that with the pH on the high side of normal range you're seeing calcium precipitate - especially around the waterfall where the pH is even higher due to areation.

1) Get a K-2006 and measure pH, FC, CC, CYA, CH, TA

If pH and TA are confirmed and my suspicion about high CH is true:
    a) Try to keep the pH around 7.2-7.4
    b) Reduce the TA to 60-70
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

thank you for answering so quick! I will go tomorrow and get one of those kits. I don't think the chemistry has been quite right since the pool was installed and I really want to try and do this myself, I just feel so darn nervous about it!
    there is so much I don't know and things like getting the lid off and on the filter (a whole other issue we've had) and have no idea how to clean the salt cell and on and on! LOL again thank you!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Sorry, I should have made it clear. None of us have seen a K-2006 for sale retail, it's really only available online. If you log out then navigate to the "Pool Water: Treatment, Testing & Problems (P)" forum and then open the "How to Get the Right Testkits for your Pool" thread, you'll find links to the kit at amazon. If you buy through those links, the pool forum gets some cash to keep the lights on.
    Your local wall mart may carry the HTH 6-way drops kit (not strips). This is a decent kit to get started quickly but not a replacement for the K-2006.

No need to be nervous. You've found the right place. With the right tools and the information here, you'll be in control of your pool in no time.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thank You! I have grandkids here and haven't been on the computer much! I have another quick question, is there another way to pay for a subscription other than pay-pal?
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-24-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    10K gal 10x20 saltwater splash pool, finished Oct 2012. the pump is Pentair variable speed, intellichlor salt generator; filter is astral viron cartridge filter.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by i'm sinking View Post
    is there another way to pay for a subscription other than pay-pal?
    Not at this time, but you can use a credit card with PayPal.

If you haven't found it, the testkit link is in my signature block. Also, read the muriatic acid page linked there, and then get some MA. You need to lower your pH, given the scale problem.

Once you have the MA, you can test to see if the scale is calcium carbonate or something else, by putting a drop of acid on some scale. Calcium carbonate will 'fizz' or bubble.

Post test kit results as soon as you have them.

+ Reply to Thread