+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pool owner needs help with algae

Question New Pool owner needs help with algae

We have never owned a pool before. We are on our 4th summer with our pool and haven't been in it yet as we have been doing all kinds of repairs. We have an inground concrete pool. We have just replaced the sand filter with a new one. We have never cleaned the pool before. Not sure what steps I would do. Do I run the filter first or vacuum first? When I vacuum, where do I attach the vacuum to get the suction needed? When do I add the chemicals (before or after filtering)? Any guidance is appreciated.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Pool owner needs help

Just checking to see if you are still around and still need some help.

Sorry that you never got a reply. We had lots of new members who all registered in a short period of time that we got behind. Hopefully we are about caught up.

So, if you still need some help, reply back and someone will try and give you some advice.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

Thank you for the response watermom! I think we are doing ok now. I just have to get the pool to not be green. So working on that now.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Do you have a test kit? The one we recommend to everyone is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006 (link in my signature below). If you can give us some current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit (no test strips), we can probably help you get rid of the green. Also, tell us exactly what all you have put in the water, meaning ingredients and not just product names.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I do not have the drops kit as of yet. I get so overwhelmed with all the products out there. I can get one tomorrow. So far, I have just added 4 gallons of super shock. Which, I think I made a HUGE booboo doing that. I added it in hopes of being able to see what was on the bottom of the pool debris wise. I just recently found out that was not a very good idea. So we are just scooping and cleaning the best we can. I will get a kit and test it and let you know tomorrow. Thank you for the help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by 1york View Post
    I do not have the drops kit as of yet. I can get one tomorrow.
    Don't try to get a K2006 locally; you might end up with a K2005, and that is NOT what you need.

Locally, there are only two useful options: (a) a cheap OTO / phenol red kit OR (b) the HTH 6-way (not: 5-way) kit made by Taylor and sold in some Walmarts. If you can't get (b), get (a).

I'm sure somewhere, somebody sells the Taylor K2006, but we've never encountered that happening after years of recommending that kit: most pool dealers don't want to sell a kit that replaces them! The test kit page linked in my blue signature block has links to the K2006 on Amazon.

Adding 4 gallons of "super shock" isn't a disaster on an in-ground pool: if your pool is well and truly slimed, and over 20,000 gallons, it may not even have an effect.

I will call around and see who has what. Thanks for that heads up. Yeah, we have about a 23,000 gallon pool. We live in the country and fished out thousands of tadpoles. I have seen little toads swimming in there as well. Trying to get as many of the little critters out. So many things...lol

+ Reply to Thread