Closed Thread

Thread: Brushing new plaster

JonnyG is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst JonnyG 0

Default Brushing new plaster

I have some questions, just had a 30,000 gal shotcrete pool installed and has had water in it for 2 days. The equipment startup is scheduled within the next few days (no fixed date yet). After the equipment startup the company schedules an "orientation" which is where I figure they will tell me about brushing the plaster for 14 days straight. Hers my question -

1) Why does the plaster need to be brushed?

2) IF it so important shouldn't I need to start brushing now?

3) Between the equipment start and orientation will be another few days I am sure. So I will not be brushing until after orientation. But can I start adding chlorine and stabilizer to the pool. The current numbres are -

TC = 0
    FC = 0
    CC = 0
    ph = 7.4
    alk = 191
    hardness = 144
    no metals present although I have a light green tint to the water

I appreciate your help. I would really like to add the stabilizer and chlorine ASAP. Let me know if I can do that before I start brushing (2-3 days before I get my "orientation")

Thanks
    John

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Brushing new plaster

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyG
    I have some questions, just had a 30,000 gal shotcrete pool installed and has had water in it for 2 days. The equipment startup is scheduled within the next few days (no fixed date yet). After the equipment startup the company schedules an "orientation" which is where I figure they will tell me about brushing the plaster for 14 days straight. Hers my question -

1) Why does the plaster need to be brushed?
    To make it smooth and you should start ASAP
    2) IF it so important shouldn't I need to start brushing now?
    YES
    3) Between the equipment start and orientation will be another few days I am sure. So I will not be brushing until after orientation. But can I start adding chlorine and stabilizer to the pool. The current numbres are -

Chlorine Yes but I would not put CYA in the pool itself. It needs to be put into the skimmer with the pump running. It takes a while to dissolve and could damage the bottom of the pool if put in directly. You could dissolve it in a large bucket of water and then mix it into the pool. Use the brush to mix the water until the pump is running.

TC = 0
    FC = 0
    CC = 0
    ph = 7.4
    alk = 191
    hardness = 144
    no metals present although I have a light green tint to the water

I appreciate your help. I would really like to add the stabilizer and chlorine ASAP. Let me know if I can do that before I start brushing (2-3 days before I get my "orientation")
    Again, if I were you, I would start brushing today and push all of the dust to the deep end where it does not matter if it is rough

Thanks
    John
    See answers above
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks - looks like I should go out and buy a brush today and start brushing tonight!

Thanks
    JonnyG

Should I brush the entire plastered surface (walls & floor)? Or just the walls?

J

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Brush all surfaces. After all, I would think the floor is the most important for smoothness.

What I did was start at the top of the wall and brush down and out on the floor the length of the brush in one motion. Saves some time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thank you very much - Day 1 brushing is complete - only 13 more to go.

When I went through the brushing last year. My poolbuilder recommended 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks and the scaled it down over the next couple of weeks. He also recommended skipping the tops of steps and/or seats 1 or 2 times a day so that they would be less slippery. We got orientation and brush at the same time they started the pool equipment. I yelled at the pool builder until he scheduled equipment startup and orientation the day after the pool was filled.

Closed Thread