Thread: Questions about poolforum topic "Lime softening ...." by watermom 06-19-2012

Cool Questions about poolforum topic "Lime softening ...." by watermom 06-19-2012

Question 1: step 4 of "Treating your pool to lower excessive hardness" you stated "for each tablespoon used above (during the bucket test), you will need to add 9 lbs of soda ash." Would not the amount of soda ash to be added to the pool be also dependent on the volume of the pool? Example: I added 7 tablespoons soda ash for the bucket test ... but that was a specific amount of pool water I was treating in the bucket (4 gallons pool water). So would not the amount of soda ash I would need to add to the pool be dependent on the volume of the pool? Consider a 10,000 gallon pool vs. a 20,000 gallon pool ... would not the 20,000 gallon pool require twice the amount of soda ash compared to the 10,000 gallon pool?

Question 2: in the "lime softening bucket test" directions step 3 stated to add 1 tablespoon of bleach to the bucket, but in the "Treating your pool to lower excessive hardness" directions there was NO mention of adding bleach to the pool. Why not?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Questions about poolforum topic "Lime softening ...." by watermom 06-19-2012

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum! That stickied thread was written by PoolDoc. I'm going to ask him to look at this thread and answer your questions.

Default Re: Questions about poolforum topic "Lime softening ...." by watermom 06-19-2012

I posted a question about a week ago on "lime softening" and received ONLY this response on the day I posted my questions:

"Lime softening ...." by watermom 06-19-2012 ... Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum! That stickied thread was written by PoolDoc. I'm going to ask him to look at this thread and answer your questions."

Since this was the only response I have received so far I am wondering if my account is set up correctly so I can get any additional responses ... or is the research to answer my questions taking a long time? Is it possible to get an update? Thanks.