+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When to run the filter.

Default When to run the filter.

The sun causes algae, so aren't I supposed to run the filter sometime during noon-time? I'm asking this because someone in the household wants to run the filter during off-peak electricity hours. I'm concerned all my hard work of getting this clean after having the cover cave in during the winter (5 trees worth of leaves in the dam thing) go to waste. Also, does anyone have a leaf net? I'm considering buying one since we have so many trees in our yard (I would tear em down and plant 15ft Max trees if I could).

PS

Its may 31st and i'm still getting a lot of leaves and pollen. Pump: 1.5hp, 21inch round ag.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: When to run the filter.

We run our pump from 11am - 6pm each day on a timer, longer if heavy swimmer load and we need to circulate extra chemicals. We have solar panels to push water though though so our timing is based a lot on heat generation.

We leave our solar blanket on when not in use - daytime it keeps the crap out of the pool, night it keeps the heat in. We actually suspend an actual set of netting for pond protection from birds/leaves over the cover during the fall winter months, I think it helps some to keep a lot of crap off the cover.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The sun doesn't cause algae--improper chlorination of your pool causes algae. In the presence of too-low chlorine, the sun just provides the heat to speed growth up. As long as your water is properly chlorinated, you don't HAVE to run your pump during the middle of the day.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by aylad
    The sun doesn't cause algae--improper chlorination of your pool causes algae. In the presence of too-low chlorine, the sun just provides the heat to speed growth up. As long as your water is properly chlorinated, you don't HAVE to run your pump during the middle of the day.

Janet
    I run mine via a timer durring the hottest times of the day to help prevent alge growth. Circulating water is harder to grow alge then standing water.

Plus I keep the solor cover on during the day and circulating the water at the hottest times of the day helps keep the pool warmer.
    Just my 2 cents.

Default Leaves and helicopters

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Gravener
    The sun causes algae, so aren't I supposed to run the filter sometime during noon-time? I'm asking this because someone in the household wants to run the filter during off-peak electricity hours. I'm concerned all my hard work of getting this clean after having the cover cave in during the winter (5 trees worth of leaves in the dam thing) go to waste. Also, does anyone have a leaf net? I'm considering buying one since we have so many trees in our yard (I would tear em down and plant 15ft Max trees if I could).

PS

Its may 31st and i'm still getting a lot of leaves and pollen. Pump: 1.5hp, 21inch round ag.
    Spare the trees!

And I agree that 'keeping ahead of your water' is the key to keeping the algae down. Sunlight just accelerates an existing problem.

We have two maples, one at either end of our 17x33 ig. Great shade trees in the summer, payback is in the fall when leaves are shed and spring when we're visited by millions of 'helicopters'. Last winter I decided to try a leaf net to simplify closing but the net didn't cover a small part of the bump-out at the steps. Mon Dieu! The leaves I raked out this spring. I just can't believe they penetrated the net, but must've slipped under the 2'x4' opening. Anyway, I don't think this net would do anything to keep out the 'spinners', but I believe there are nets with finer mesh that might. Shop around.

I run my filter twice a day for 4-5 hours each; once in the late afternoon and in the early morning hours (2-6 am). My thinking is simply to spread out the circulation over 24 hours without running it full time.

C.

I have a 20x40 IG Vinyl pool in Northern NJ and make use of off-peak power exclusively. I almost NEVER run the pump during the day. I have had the pool 8 years and have NEVER had any algae problems. I run the pump for about 6 hour at night. The key is just to maintain the chemical balance in the water.

Default Update

Thanks for the information people. I'm going to continue running the filter during off-peak hours.

I run mine here in Central NJ from 7PM to around 4-5AM. Never any issues and the water is crystal clear.

I have a 27ft AG and run the filter during the day from 8-11am and 2-7pm on a timer. The only reason I run during the day is b/c the pool gets full sun and by circulating the water I noticed that the water temp rises significantly.

+ Reply to Thread