+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is jacking up the legs of Intex Ultra Frame safe?

Default Is jacking up the legs of Intex Ultra Frame safe?

Ahhh - my first post. So I have an 18ft x 48 round Intex Ultra Frame. I set it up with the help of my bro in law and nephew and put a little bit of water in in. I should mention that we *thought* the ground was level enough and I used 3/4 inch rigid foam to set the pool on instead of sand. The current spot of the pool will not be the same spot next year (I am having a concrete patio put in later this summer and pool will be in the way) and really didn't want to dig if I didn't have to and was concerned the sand would just wash away in the winter...I don't know....maybe this doesn't really happen. Anyway, filled the pool and it was pretty far off.....had a definite deep end and shallow end. It was off about 5 inches or so total, but did just gradually go down. So I filled and drained in all of 24 hrs. A friend came over today and suggested jacking up the legs. Since the pool was empty (there was maybe an inch of water that wouldn't drain out) we were easily able to lift the legs and put some support under them. We used some string and line level and have it within reason in all spots. However, this has caused the seam of the liner to be more along the side instead of at the bottom where it should be. My concern is that once the pool is filled it will be too much stress on the seam and it will blow. The good news is that it would only cause yard flooding - no houses would get messed up, but not really sure I want to have that happen either. Seems pretty wasteful especially after already filling and draining once. So my question is, do I do the right thing and level it off like I should or take the chance the seam will be ok? Could I add some sand bags behind the seam to have some added support? I'm thinking there is about 8 weeks left of swim time in good ol' central Illinois and really want to be able to use it this year. But I'm so completely frustrated that another part of me just wants to pack it all up and start over next spring. Maybe I'll cool off in a kiddie pool this year. Not sure if it matters, but the pool will be used by my sisters (all over 30 and won't be rough) but also my 8 nieces and nephews who I am sure will act like kids and splash around and stuff. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Is jacking up the legs of Intex Ultra Frame safe?

The only safe answer is to say, "Level the ground under the pool, before refilling". And, not with sand, which tends to wash away from splash out or rains.

It's not impossible that what you are trying to do will work, but I wouldn't bet on it, myself. It's hard to tell, without actually seeing what you are doing, how much you are stressing the pool.

I guess the bottom line is, if you can afford the risk that you'll destroy the pool, and don't care to do the work needed to level the pool . . . go for it. It *might* work.

+ Reply to Thread