+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Liner/New Fill From Well

Default New Liner/New Fill From Well

Unfortunately I have to put in a new liner in our pool so at least I get a fresh start with water chemistry.

The pool is 27' round with 48" wall.

My questions are in regards to fill water. Upon original install, we had a tanker come in and fill from municipal source. This was built into the budget of the new install

We live in the country, however, and have two wells to fill from. Is it ok to fill from these sources?

What are the negatives or potential cons of this?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Liner/New Fill From Well

The main problem with filling from a well is that some wells have metal-contaminated water that cause problems in a pool.

You might want to do a bucket test on a sample of your well water before you fill your pool with it. Directions can be found in the following thread.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...est-for-metals

Started bucket test on sample of one well. It is known to have a high iron content and we use a large iron filter and softener in the house. The hydrants outside, though, are direct from the well.

You can see the discoloration in the 4 gallon sample. It's not horrible, but it's noticable in a clean white bucket. The bleach seems to have cleared it some already and I'm about to add the borax.

I'm afraid this might be our only option.

Seeing the iron settle pretty quickly after adding Borax. I'm getting an orange rusty looking sediment around the perimeter of the bottom of the bucket. Lots of iron I guess.

Started bucket test on my secondary well...which is what we typically use for topping off the pool every year. It's an old shallow dug well as opposed to a very deep drilled well like the main well I tested first.

I'm glad I've been using the old one because it's off to a great start!!! The water is very clear and so far nothing settling after several hours.

Installed the new liner this morning and I'm filling from the well with the clear water. I also reclaimed some of the water that we drained just to make sure there was enough to keep the pool up.

I ran and bought a Hayward Bobby Sock Filter that you put on the end of the hose and I've started the bucket test over with the well that has all of the iron.

There is a slight discoloration in the white bucket still, but so far I don't see any iron settling to the bottom. It must catch a lot of it. It's supposed to be a 5 micron filter.

With that said, I know my old shallow dug well with the clear water won't be able to keep up with filling the pool. It'll need regen time, etc. Has anybody used the Bobby Sock and do you think it's ok to start filling out of the other well with it?

+ Reply to Thread