+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hardness increaser less expensive than the pool store?

Default Hardness increaser less expensive than the pool store?

I have to continually increase my water hardness. The hardness increaser I am buying is running $33 for 15 pounds. Is there a less expensive alternative?
    26,000 gallon plaster Oasis shape 40' x 18'. 54 sq. ft. vertical grid DE filter. 1 hp pump.

Default Re: Hardness increaser less expensive than the pool store?

Hi Tfrailey,

I have recently investigated the use of calcium hardness. I just received a shipment of calcium chloride ( ca increaser per se ) from the cheapest source ( Qik Joe ) for me in midsummer from a TruValue hardware organization.... http://www.midlandhardware.com/135210.html . If not for shipping, this product, for 50# would have been very cheap. Where you are located, I think Home Depot carries a product, which I know is currently available in Yonkers, NY area, for a price of $17+ for 50# so suspect you should not have a problem finding it. I think it is in flake form which I would have preferred. I did call Qik Joe company, great guy, and he said the MSDS was 92% + pure Calcium Chloride, no heavy metals listed, but no tech available at that location to speak with me either. Still, I prefer more Calcium than what is in the products sold by the pool stores.

I looked at a fish forum for their recommendations as they are really into purity. They like Tetra products ( Tetra 94 ) the best as it seemed to be the purest form with higher concentrations, atleast until Katrina hit when the company had to go to China for it's source.

I started a thread on this forum last week about calcium chloride source. Check that out if you can for other options, including Amazon, which the poolforum gets some funding should you start at the PF site. I do not think I listed the link above in that reference.

The product just arrived, along with my new K-2006 kit so I will make changes to my pool chems tomorrow. Will post after I have used the pellets.

Hope this helped you!
    Last edited by Redwolf; 07-02-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: misspelling

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Many pool stores do stock 50 lb bags of calcium chloride (or can get it from their suppliers) but you have to ask them for it, particularly if they also sell to the pool service trade. Either the dihydrate or the anhydrous forms are suitable and it does not need to be food grade (but the dosing is slightly different between the two forms because of the weight differences). Tetra is a common brand that is sold because of its purity but not the only one. Dowflake (dihydrate) and Peladow (anhydrous pellets) now contain higher levels of bromide (because of manufacturing changes since the brand was sold to Oxidental Chemical) so it might temporarily create some bromine sanitizer in the pool but the only significant side effect is that, since bromine cannot be stabilized against loss from sunlight you might have a temporarily higher chlorine demand, similar to using a bromide based algae treatment. If you are testing your FC levels regularly this becomes a non issue other than the fact that you might have to add a bit more chlorine to maintain the proper level for a short time.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thank you Redwolf and waterbear - very useful information!
    26,000 gallon plaster Oasis shape 40' x 18'. 54 sq. ft. vertical grid DE filter. 1 hp pump.

You are welcome Tfrailey. And thanks also Waterbear as you are a great source of information. I am really dreading putting the calcium in as I already have a cloudy pool.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I am really dreading putting the calcium in as I already have a cloudy pool.
    Adding calcium should not normally cloud the pool unless your pH/TA is very high. As a safeguard you can drop the pH to around 7.2 before adding the calcium, predissolve no more than about 5-10 lbs at at time in a large bucket of water and walk it around the pool, and break the additions into 3 or 4 with a wait of a few hours in between so everything can circulate and mix.
    All that being said, I just broadcast the dry calcium chloride over the pool surface in two or three batches without really waiting in between and have never had a problem. My pH is between 7.6 and 7.8 and I keep my TA at 70 ppm.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I added the calcium in the distribution earlier today like you do, Waterbear. Since this was my first use of this product, I halved the calculated dose. Will add the additional 16# shortly. And, the water is actually clearer tonight! I started with Ca of 110, added 19#, got Ca of 190. So will add another 17#. This Qik Joe product had tiny pellets and seemed to dissolve quickly. I was just happy I could get it!

I wanted to get my Calcium balanced before I added the borates (BBB). Which I hope to start tomorrow. But, we have noticed a really pretty blue to our pool, so I am a little concerned about Copper. Have not researched this entirely yet. But our water when balanced looks like your photo. I am a bit concerned because we used Safer Muriatic Acid the past couple of years as my ph has a tendency, especially lately to go up. I just discovered on TFP this was not a good idea due to unknowns in the product. I think Ben wrote something on someone's thread about lowering ph to grab the copper out. So kind of wanted to do this while doing the process of getting my borates to 50 ppm. But got to find the threads for all this again.

Thanks for your input as always. ( on another topic..... what do you guys do down there for dollar weed control?)

I

Smile Re: Hardness increaser less expensive than the pool store?

Ah, my water is beautiful, no more milky water. And, the color is clearer now. CA is 250 ppm with 36# CaCL2. I am tickled! Will likely bring it higher since we have heavy rains here.

Thanks to all on PF for your time and shared wisdom!

Now to battling the borates.....

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks Watermom! The toe test will be the first this season! Happy 4th!

+ Reply to Thread