+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: x10 for valve controls

Default x10 for valve controls

I am interested in using an x10 controller to turn on my waterfall valve. Since it is just the valve on/off, and in either case I can't deadhead the system, I am not worried too much about it missing a remote click, etc.

My question is - has anyone out there done it, and if so, what parts did you use and can you share them?

Thanks for the help!

-randy

kaybinster Guest

It would be trivial to do. Don't know what pump or valve you are using, but if it exceeds the current or voltage limit on the X-10 just plug a relay into the X-10 and then let the relay open and close the current to your device.

Default More info

For the pool controller valve, it is a 3-wire connection. 1 is neutral, and if you supply 24v AC to Neutral & 1 wire, it will rotate the valve clockwise until the valve hits a cam to stop turning. If you apply 24v AC to Neutral & the other wire, it will rotate counter-clockwise until it hits another cam & turns off.

My dilemma is coming up w/ an X10 setup that can essentially swap the voltage when I press the button on the remote, thus turning the valve in the opposite direction to what it was before.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-randy

kaybinster Guest

If I understand you correctly then a relay will do exactly what you want. I forget the exact nomenclature, but you want a relay with two sets of contacts one is normally open the other is normally closed. You would wire the 24V to the center contact and then each of the outer contacts will each go to the hot connection of your valve. When your X-10 is "off" the power will feed to the normally closed contact, when the X-10 is "on" the power will shift to the normally open contact. If that is not clearer than mud ask away and I will try to explain it better.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/...Spa-Controller
    has an X10 pool controller that with do the 24 volt switching for you. This thing looks like it does quite a bit and it is only a little over $100

You can also use a x-10 three-way light switch. Hook the power to the common screw (the one that is a differnt color) and the open and close wires to the other two screws (one wire on each screw).

When you operate the switch it will then open and close the valve.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thumbs down I don't like these kinds of posts . . . and here's why:

I don't like these kinds of posts . . . and here's why:

Industrial grade controls are reliable, but complex to install and configure, very expensive to pay for, and not generally available for pool use.

Controls of kinds you are discussing are generally NOT very reliable, and often end up causing endless problems. This includes most forms of pool automation, for chemistry control, remote operation, and so. (Regular mechanical time clocks are the exception, and tend to be very reliable, except for getting off time, whenever there is a power outage.)

The PoolForum and PoolSolutions are all about making pools easier and more reliable; controls like these make pools harder and less reliable . . . and LOT more expensive.

In particular, installation of consumer level devices, like the X-10 controls, virtually guarantees pool problems.

It's not that I don't understand the attraction; I probably used to be as much a gadget geek as anyone here, and the urge is still there. But, I guess you could call me a "recovering gadget geek", having been forced to give it up by all the problems I caused myself and my customers, chasing the holy grail of pool automation.

If you've got the time and resources to go with industrial grade automation and you have someone to support that automation, who's both readily available and genuinely competent, then 'go for it', with my blessings.

But otherwise . . .
    I believe the only valid reason to install elaborate automation on a pool is that you are doing it to satisfy your lust for geeky gadgets, that you KNOW that that's what you are doing, and you are willing to pay the price in degraded pool function. Now, of course, what you think about what you are doing is up to you.

But the reason I hate these kinds of posts, is that they led other people, who have no lust for gadgets, off in the the never-never land of automated pools, where they will waste time and money, and end up losing the easy to care for and inexpensive pool they were originally seeking.

So . . . I need to decide what to do.

If there's enough demand, I can create a new "Automation" section, so I can keep all the gadget posts off in their own little section, where they won't distract or injure other readers.

Or, otherwise, I can just move this into the "Off Topic" section.

I'll think about it and check with my moderators before doing anything.

Meanwhile, feel free to continue your discussion, but don't be surprised when it is moved elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Ben

Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-30-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Default I know what you are saying, but...

OK - here is my dilemma: I am building a pool w/o a spa - a fairly generic thing, it has the pool, a waterfall, 2 fountains and 2 lights.

I want to be able to turn the lights on/off, as well as the waterfall and fountains from inside my house.

To do this, I purchased the Aqualogic P4, wireless remote module, wireless remote (the electrician wanted another $400 to run the wire for the hardwired remote). This totaled somewhere north of 1000.00. FOR BASICALLY 3 SWITCHES. Call me crazy, but I was still willing to go with this, but upon receiving the equipment and looking it over, I find that even this can't do what I want, as I only have one free relay control in the panel. For that, I need the PS-4, different remotes, yada yada yada. Price: North of $1400.00. I mean, come on - does that not seem crazy?

So, I am trying the x10 for this. Guaranteed on/off for any of these three things is not a big deal for me - if I have to hit the button for on or off more than once, I think I am better off than paying the above amounts, and with what I am controlling, there is no way to physically damage my pool. I just got all of the stuff I need for the x10, and it is < $150.00, and now I even have a keychain remote that I can take w/ me outside to do it. Not to mention that my electrical install is going to be $200 cheaper, since they are not hooking up the P4 anymore. (I am going to do the x10 install, so there is some labor investment on my part here, though...)

Do I think x10 is the answer for everything? No. Do I think is is better than 300-450 dollar light switches? You bet. I do think there is room for some automation discussion - I certainly spent many hours researching this before I decided to try it. And, maybe I will be sorry, if the x10 stuff breaks or something, but for the difference, I am certainly willing to try!

-randy

MrDuffin:

I don't think the idea w/ the 3 way light switch will work - for the x10 to work, it has to be on my home wiring - the voltage I am trying to switch is 24v AC, so if I hook that up as you mentioned, the x10 transmitter has no way to talk to the switch to turn it on/off. Does that sound right, or am I missing something?

I did get this figured out - I got an x10 110v outlet and a SPDT relay w/ a 110v coil (gotta love Fry's Electronics!). I plugged the 24v AC Transformer into the unswitched outlet on the x10, and wire one leg through the relay (1 - NC, 1 - NO), and the other directly to the neutral on the valve actuator. When the x10 outlet is off, it turns the valve through the NC side of the relay. When I turn the outlet on, it turns the valve the other way through the NO side of the relay. Seems to work OK, but I just have it running in the house so far, I haven't installed it at the pool yet.

Thanks for the help!

-randy

Hey, MarkC!

I did look at that, and it seems interesting - what made me nervous is that it does not seem like I would have much control over it - it has built-in functions that you are limited to, from what I could see (couldn't find very good docs on it, though.) Do you have any more info on it, by chance?

Personally, I came across so many threads in research for this that I can't believe that someone doesn't make something pre-configured to do what I am after. I did get a solution, but I would have liked something more plug-n-play.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/...Spa-Controller
    has an X10 pool controller that with do the 24 volt switching for you. This thing looks like it does quite a bit and it is only a little over $100

+ Reply to Thread